2019 Bronson choice - carbon wheels & Industry Nine Hydra Hubs VS. raceface 27.5+ & Fox Factory 38

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
2019 Bronson choice - carbon wheels & Industry Nine Hydra Hubs VS. raceface 27.5+ & Fox Factory 38
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 28, 2022 at 9:59 Quote
I am on the look for a Santa Cruz Bronson v3.

I found two decent deals (second hand, both 2019, both S build)

First is an XL, and more downhill oriented: 27.5+ wheels, and new 2021 Fox Factory 38 at 170mm.

Second is an L, sports the fancy carbon wheels with Industry Nine Hydra Hubs, and has the regular Fox 36 fork.

Now, I am 6', so by Santa Cruz I should go with L. But I read that the Bronson still runs a tad short in reach, so I guess the XL might be worth trying.

Basically the choice boils down to the kind of use, and given I like uphill as much as downhill, would you agree that the second bike (L, with carbon wheels) is a better choice? How worse would be the XL with 170 Fox 38, going up?

Thanks for your opinion!

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 16:53 Quote
I'm 6'2" on an XL with a 50 mm stem, I9 Hydra's and Enduro rims and just put a 170mm Zeb fork on.

Fit is great, put a shorter stem on if you need it.

I'm based on North Shore / BC riding and it does everything I need.

I think for the party coming down, the extra weight is negligible for the climbs.

Hope that helps

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 19:57 Quote
benhg wrote:
I'm 6'2" on an XL with a 50 mm stem, I9 Hydra's and Enduro rims and just put a 170mm Zeb fork on.

Fit is great, put a shorter stem on if you need it.

I'm based on North Shore / BC riding and it does everything I need.

I think for the party coming down, the extra weight is negligible for the climbs.

Hope that helps

Thanks!
But at 6'2'' you are quite taller than me. Even with a 3.5stem, I'd be more stretched out than you I guess. I'd be curious to know how sizing up affects climbing (I know that it should help with stability going down, but going up?)

Thing is, in St Louis Missouri it's mostly flow trails, a few technical, and rare bike parks. The Fox 36 is already an overkill. So I think I'll go for the L size, with Fox 36, and carbon wheels.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005901
Mobile Version of Website