Most reliable rear shock?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Most reliable rear shock?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 28, 2022 at 17:25 Quote
I’m now dealing with my fourth Fox DHX2 repair in less than 2 years. I’ve had a 2020 model, and now a 2021 model; both have had major problems between normal service intervals. This is on a 2020 Scott Gambler that gets ridden hard during the summer but not terribly often: maybe 3-5 park days per month and ~20 park days per year. Not racing.

The only other rear shock I’ve tried is the Push ElevenSix on my Evil Offering. That thing has been on there for over two years and hasn’t needed a thing. Just keeps going and performing fantastically. Unfortunately Push doesn’t make a shock for the Gambler.

I’m looking for something that will perform well but more importantly be reliable and not require substantial maintenance + multiple rebuilds per year.

Some brands that I’m curious about in terms of reliability and performance:

-EXT

-Marzocchi (are these the same internals as the DHX2?)

-Cane Creek

-Ohlins

Appreciate any experience and opinions.

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 18:06 Quote
i have a RS super deluxe ultimate on my 2021 clash and i rode 30 park days last year plus all the riding i did not at the park and i only rebuilt it once and it wasnt leaking i just figured it was time

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 18:16 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
i have a RS super deluxe ultimate on my 2021 clash and i rode 30 park days last year plus all the riding i did not at the park and i only rebuilt it once and it wasnt leaking i just figured it was time

good to know, always heard RS is pretty durable

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 23:28 Quote
My Bomber CR has been very reliable after 3 ½ years of relatively hard use. I sent it away for a bit of custom tuning after 6 months, and it has been serviced twice, but other than that it has been a case of fit and forget.

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 10:28 Quote
RS Super Deluxe is really reliable, rarely heard any issue from these shocks,

Fox X2 must be one of the worst modern shock regarding reliability.

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 10:41 Quote
What is needing to be repaired on the DHX2?

I'd also be looking for reports from other gambler owners on whether they are also blowing shocks. Not all bike designs are equal when it comes to shock reliability.

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 10:53 Quote
No DVO Jade X ?.

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 11:31 Quote
Pablo16v wrote:
My Bomber CR has been very reliable after 3 ½ years of relatively hard use. I sent it away for a bit of custom tuning after 6 months, and it has been serviced twice, but other than that it has been a case of fit and forget.
or a fox van rc. same shock.

Posted: Jun 13, 2022 at 18:27 Quote
I’ve had 2 ccdb air and 2 coil over the years and none gave me a bit of trouble. My shop can do the rebuilds so I didn’t have to send them to CC for service. I never did anything outside of routine maintenance apart from one change in the stanchion. I’m currently 6mo in on a storia with no issues. I dumped an x2 for the storia. I was not a fan of the vvc. If I could’ve swapped the vvc for shim stacks I’d probably still be on the x2.

Posted: Jun 15, 2022 at 15:23 Quote
No ideas on reliability myself, but öhlins do have a good reputation.

And there's the ability to tune their shocks with support.

Posted: Jun 15, 2022 at 16:12 Quote
Saturnalia wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

good to know, always heard RS is pretty durable

I have been using RS rear shocks for the last several years. First Monarch, now have Super Deluxe Select with megneg can. Both have been very reliable, no issues. Ride up to 150 days/ year plus weekly bikepark sessions. I keep up with maintenance schedules.

I don't know of a manufacturer that doesn't require an annual rebuild to some degree, though.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006091
Mobile Version of Website