What's the most versatile suspension fork?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
What's the most versatile suspension fork?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 28, 2022 at 18:12 Quote
If you're going to buy one fork, and you'd like it to be able to span a variety of purposes, which one is the one?

The 2022 Pike can cover 120mm to 160mm. It isn't a sid on the light end, and it's not a yari on the stouter side, but if you have one fork that you want to be able to fit to a fairly wide range of bikes with just an air shaft swap, the pike will Jack all trades and maybe only master the middle segment.

Or maybe the fox 36? You can run that pretty short with air shaft swap. It's a fair bit heavier than the pike, but it's stiff and works well.

Anyway this is a thought experiment, of course you could buy the exact fork for the exact frame and purpose.

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 9:49 Quote
Cane Creek Helm air or coil can be adjusted without the need for any new parts. Think it’s adjustable from 130mm to 160mm, but I’d only class it as a trail fork these days, still pretty good though!

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 17:21 Quote
Heywood165 wrote:
Cane Creek Helm air or coil can be adjusted without the need for any new parts. Think it’s adjustable from 130mm to 160mm, but I’d only class it as a trail fork these days, still pretty good though!

I’d highly recommend the Helm MK2. I’ve got the air version but contemplating a coil conversion. The air fork is adjustable 100-160mm for 29 with no hardware swaps required and 100-170mm for 27.5. Coil is 130-160mm. I’m running the 27.5 at 160mm and it’s still plenty stiff and direct. Coming off a Pike it gives up a touch of smoothness off the top but some of that is my setup and the mid stroke support is awesome.

Posted: Jun 2, 2022 at 4:42 Quote
On the enduro-to-trail side, I’ll chime in for the Manitou Mezzer (expert). Has 37mm stanchions and easily adjustable travel from 140-180mm w/ simple token change inside so no need to buy multiple airsprings like w/ Rockshox) OR dumping all the oil (21mm each side) - just keep the lowers horizontal and they go right back on w/ oil intact, assuming its clean. Air goes in the base vs the top.

The IVA chamber above the airspring is easily adjustable as well with 4 token positions (all tokens stay inside as above or below the piston & the LSC/HSC are dually controlled above the damper from plush to firm in 6 positions.

I could go on & on. Still have a 160mm Lyrik on my trail bike - the Manitou is now a park beast, totally in love.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005266
Mobile Version of Website