Stumpy alloy 2022 S5 upgrades advice

PB Forum :: Specialized
Stumpy alloy 2022 S5 upgrades advice
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 6, 2022 at 17:47 Quote
Hi

Sorry I’m new and have recently purchased a stumpy alloy S5 2022 and I am interested to see what upgrades people have been doing to the base model and why ?

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Teague

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2022 at 10:03 Quote
Stumpy2022 wrote:
Hi

Sorry I’m new and have recently purchased a stumpy alloy S5 2022 and I am interested to see what upgrades people have been doing to the base model and why ?

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Teague

I love the Stumpy. But, when I bought my 2020 alloy the first thing I did was convert to tubeless and swap the SX derailleur/shifter for GX, which I find considerably crisper and more accurate. But, they're consumable parts so if you're happy with the SX all the power to you.

Posted: Jun 9, 2022 at 16:33 Quote
I just got one in an S4, since I'm on the heavy side, I upgraded the shock even before I took the bike out. Was able to score a used fox float dps factory in the unicorn size of 190X45, hardware from the old shock was used no problem. Bike performed with my limited experience with it.

Posted: Jun 9, 2022 at 16:49 Quote
1. Brakes
2. CLUTCH derailleur (you will upgrade cassette when you do wheels)
3. Fork
4. Wheels
5. Rear shock

This is the order I did my stumpy alloy in. Get the brakes so you can go fast!

edit: tubless that jawn too

Posted: Jun 12, 2022 at 7:18 Quote
I first upgraded the heavy/clunky Rockshox 35 to a brand new take-off Pike.

Then managed to score a great deal on a Fox DPS rear shock.

Also installed a custom made downtube protector (kydex), and bashgaurd.

Waiting right now for a 40mm Turbine R stem in the mail.

Next up will eventually be the derailleur/shifter once the SX gives up the ghost.

Posted: Jun 21, 2022 at 11:15 Quote
Thanks for all the comments bikes just been delayed so ended up changing order to a nukeproof mega 290 pro 2022 model that comes next week

O+
Posted: Jun 24, 2022 at 1:38 Quote
Stumpy2022 wrote:
Thanks for all the comments bikes just been delayed so ended up changing order to a nukeproof mega 290 pro 2022 model that comes next week

Oooooh your gonna have to change your pinkbike name.

O+
Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 13:24 Quote
How noticeable is the upgrade from the x-fusion rear shock to say a dps? is the fox float x a good option here to build more towards something in-between the SJ and Evo?

Posted: Aug 26, 2022 at 6:40 Quote
This is a topic i'm very interested in as well (for future reference). So far I've:
-converted to tubeless
-SX → GX derailleur, cranks, and shifter (will also save the cassette for wheel upgrade)
-SLX 4 pot brakes front and rear

What are some weight-saving upgrades you guys have made?

Posted: Aug 28, 2022 at 17:04 Quote
I'd say the rear shock upgrade was pretty noticeable. Having a working climb/trail/descend switch is pretty awesome.

As for weight savings, ditch the RS 35 silver, it weighs a ton with the steel stanchions.

O+
Posted: Aug 28, 2022 at 21:39 Quote
Thanks,

It is common knowledge what an S4 steer tube is cut to? looking at a fox 36 with a 180mm steer tube, I'm assuming that is long enough.

Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 15:07 Quote
The steerer on my 35 was 190mm on my S4. 180 should be fine if your okay with loosing 10mm of stack height and removing some spacers.

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 8:01 Quote
Senderdeep wrote:
I'd say the rear shock upgrade was pretty noticeable. Having a working climb/trail/descend switch is pretty awesome.

As for weight savings, ditch the RS 35 silver, it weighs a ton with the steel stanchions.

Cool thanks. Would a Fox 36 Float from a 2022 Giant Trance X fit my SJ? (or the rear Fox Float DPS for that matter?

Posted: Sep 2, 2022 at 22:58 Quote
So what so young guys think of overforking this bike? Thinking of buying the cheapest Stumpy Alloy only for the frame and selling everything on it. Have a Lyrik 150mm laying around, will this work without messing with the bikes overall handling? Also, will this void any warranty on the frame?

Thanks!

Posted: Sep 4, 2022 at 16:09 Quote
and78ers wrote:
So what so young guys think of overforking this bike? Thinking of buying the cheapest Stumpy Alloy only for the frame and selling everything on it. Have a Lyrik 150mm laying around, will this work without messing with the bikes overall handling? Also, will this void any warranty on the frame?

Thanks!

Seems like a lot of internet people enjoy it. When I have the money I plan on doing the same (150lyrik). This article had some interesting testing on that and running the bike mullet:
https://flowmountainbike.com/tests/specialized-stumpjumper-mullet-review/

Also to the OP: I did
Brakes (to g2rs)
Tubeless
Dropper (to PNW because I had it from my previous bike)
Shock (to Fox DPS performance elite)
Cushcore

Next up is a new fork and gx shifter/derailleur then I think I’ll be done for a bit

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011822
Mobile Version of Website