Broken Hand

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 10, 2022 at 3:54 Quote
I broke my hand almost 7 weeks ago. Broke the neck of the 5th metacarpal on my left hand. I have been back riding on the road a few times with a cast and once since getting the cast off. My doctor only gave me the advice to ride on the road if I was having no issues with pain. If I did have pain take a week and try again. Since I've had the cast off I've ridden once on the road, had pain and took a week off, tomorrow I'm going to try riding again. My question is, how long did it take others to get back mountain biking after breaking a hand? I have a mountain bike trip that I am supposed to go on 8 weeks out from breaking it, is that going to be feasible or should I pull the plug on it now? I can cancel my hotel up until a couple days from now. I'm not really comfortable hopping back on a mountain bike here in southern italy with super gnarly rocky trails this weekend to give it a go. I know that the bone is supposed to be healed at 6-8 weeks out so theoretically it will be healed. Any personal experiences with this kind of injury I would appreciate hearing how the healing process went and when you got back out there mountain biking.
Thanks!

Posted: Jun 13, 2022 at 7:27 Quote
To be honest it's going to hurt for a few months, but you'll either get used to it as your wrist and hand strengthen or it'll just go away. Mine was over 14 months ago and still gives me shit from time to time. I tend to suffer with numbness in that hand more than anything now rather than pain though.

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 19:18 Quote
Same exact injury, 5days later I rode on the bike path, 7days did a rather easy trail, rode 4hrs today (dayCool doing another 4hr tomorrow. I'm actively trying to rehab my fingers from getting tight and riding the mtb on easy stuff (gravel roads) been hitting the gym to keep the balance sharp but unable to do any core as I have so much road rash. I'd hope that by 4wks I'd be ready to fully charge stuff.
Do you still have your splint on?
31yr, roadie-fit, eat rather clean...

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 2:55 Quote
I broke both the 4th and 5th metacarpal on my hand, i was out from propa biking for around 4.5 months, keep up with physio and ensuring you are working on movement and strength. i started with some easy trails and then eventually built up to some downhil trails. short rides at first as my hand was aching and feeling weak after about 1.5 - 2 hours. try to keep it active in short bursts and build it up to longer and more dificult rides. Good luck on the recovery!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006082
Mobile Version of Website