Geometry changes on a bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Geometry changes on a bike
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 14, 2022 at 15:46 Quote
This is gonna be a bit long. I am 6'4" (194cm) tall, currently riding a 2020 Canyon Spectral with 27.5 inch wheels, which was a great purchase at the time, but nowadays can't hold up to what im throwing at it. I'm thinking of upgrading it rather than buying a new bike (wheels, suspension, drivetrain etc.) but I also want to change the geometry.

I would either swap the headset for an angle adjustable one, slackening the angle by 1.5°, and putting a 10mm longer fork on it, which should give me a more comfortable feel down the trail.

I have also tested a couple 29ers and I loved it, which has made me interested in turning it into a mullet. I am aware that it will alter the geometry massively, but I could shorten the fork travel by 10mm to counter the changes a little.

So my questions are, which option should I choose, and would the downhill performance of a slack 27.5er be comparable to that of a "normal" 29er? I am mainly looking for a slacker hta and a longer wheelbase.

I would love to hear your opinions, thanks in advance!

Posted: Jun 19, 2022 at 14:09 Quote
In my experience, you may be better off selling your bike and buying something that will open up new limits to you.

A mullet setup will be pricey. Changes in fork length/HTA won't make as much difference as you may be looking for.

If your bike can't handle what you're throwing at it right now, I don't think small changes will be satisfying in the long run.

I recommend you consider what you could get for your entire bike, or your frame alone, then add the cost of the adjustments you would have made to your current bike. The total may be enough for a whole new bike/ frame.

Generally, the changes/upgrades you make to your current bike won't add much to the value of it when you do eventually sell. So it may be better to get a new setup. It can't hurt to post your bike/ frame for sale and see what offers you get.

Posted: Jun 19, 2022 at 20:46 Quote
Slackening the head angle plus adding a longer fork is also going to eat into that reach number that you'll probably want to avoid at 6'4"

Posted: Jun 24, 2022 at 17:12 Quote
I played around with my large 2020 Kona Process 134 CR\DL. It's 140/130 front/rear suspension 29er with 475 reach and 66 degree head tube angle. I installed a 0.5 degree offset headset and bumped the travel to 150. It was awkward until I went from the standard 51mm offset to 42mm offset fork also at 150mm. That worked pretty good and gave me a head tube angle of 64.5 without losing much reach. It worked well for downhill but I missed how the bike handled and climbed so I put it all back to how it came stock and I love how it climbs really good and still descends quite well. So take it from me and don't bother. If you are geo curious there are some great options in 29 that are adjustable. Check out Specialized stumpy Evo or Rocky Mountain Instinct. Haven't ridden either but look cool. Keep in mind more travel generally is more forgiving and helps build confidence but mid travel bikes like mine are still very capable and you can still climb really good for more laps.

Posted: Jun 24, 2022 at 17:50 Quote
I recently put a 29" 160 Fox 38 on the front of my 2019 Trek Remedy. Cranked the seat as far forward as it gets, and run the stem at headset, and I must say, its is a phenomenal change. The geo is a bit slacker, but I can still climb very well with the effective STA (seat forward) and the bike just rips now, like a 29er. It was a simple easy upgrade. Really happy with it so far.

Posted: Jun 24, 2022 at 19:11 Quote
chrismac wrote:
I recently put a 29" 160 Fox 38 on the front of my 2019 Trek Remedy. Cranked the seat as far forward as it gets, and run the stem at headset, and I must say, its is a phenomenal change. The geo is a bit slacker, but I can still climb very well with the effective STA (seat forward) and the bike just rips now, like a 29er. It was a simple easy upgrade. Really happy with it so far.

Glad that worked out for you. I'd like to try 29 up front on my Norco Sight, but the head angle would be DH bike levels of slack (stock is already 63.5!!). I imagine your bike's stock head angle is steeper than ~64 degrees? In which case you had more room to slacken the bike from stock without turning it into a DH sled.

Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 21:32 Quote
Yeah, it went from 65 to something… trying to find a way to upload the photo to this thread and measure the angles digitally…

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005504
Mobile Version of Website