1 Year In - Suggestions

Previous Page | Next Page
O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2022 at 20:35 Quote
I bought my first MTB last year (2021 Orbea Occam H20). I have a past riding BMX but haven't ridden in years so this has been a blast to get back on two weels. Needless to say, I'm hooked but - I'm having some issues and want some suggestions from the experienced ones here.

I'm riding the stock bike. Handlebar width, seat, all-the-things are stock. Initially, I set up the bike per manufacturer suggestions but, after a few months came to hone in what "felt right" for me. I feel like there are some things to change but I'm not sure what given some of the issues/complaints I have.

1. My right shoulder kills after a long ride. I've worked on posture and have had tons of time on the bike. I'm curious if my handlebars are too low/aggressive or not low/aggressive enough. Maybe the width as well?

2. I'm 6' tall and although the seat-post gets out of my way pretty well, I feel like it could be a bit better and may help with the "payfullness" of the bike.

3. I smashed the stock Deore XT Dereailer and could only get a cheap base Deore to keep me moving due to supply shortages. This is honestly a huge complaint and I just need to upgrade ASAP as I live in MN which in mostly climbing haha.

Those are my top 3 issues right now and would love to get some idea on how to fix or just live with it. If there are other things that would have a huge impact that I'm missing - please let me know!

Posted: Jun 15, 2022 at 1:15 Quote
3) what is the problem with the base deore derailleur? I have had XT and Deore 12s rear derailleurs and they both work great. Only difference was XT clutch could be adjusted with a tool on the outside. Many people recommend a the Deore anyway as it’s much cheaper to replace when you smash it against a rock but shifts just as nice.

Sounds like you need a derailleur adjustment if you think this is affecting your riding.

Posted: Jun 15, 2022 at 7:27 Quote
If you think the Deore derailleur is any different than Deore XT, there must be something else screwed up. VERY likely that your derailleur hanger also got slightly bent in the crash, and should be replaced. You cannot feel any shifting difference between Deore and Deore XT derailleur.

Posted: Jun 15, 2022 at 10:33 Quote
Faust0 wrote:
I bought my first MTB last year (2021 Orbea Occam H20). I have a past riding BMX but haven't ridden in years so this has been a blast to get back on two weels. Needless to say, I'm hooked but - I'm having some issues and want some suggestions from the experienced ones here.

I'm riding the stock bike. Handlebar width, seat, all-the-things are stock. Initially, I set up the bike per manufacturer suggestions but, after a few months came to hone in what "felt right" for me. I feel like there are some things to change but I'm not sure what given some of the issues/complaints I have.

1. My right shoulder kills after a long ride. I've worked on posture and have had tons of time on the bike. I'm curious if my handlebars are too low/aggressive or not low/aggressive enough. Maybe the width as well?

Shoulder pain can be caused by any number of things, but if you're healthy, fit and active then you should be able to ride all day with minimal pain. Pain in only one shoulder may be indicative of a physical problem and you might get advice from a doctor rather than a bike forum.

Anyhow....
You should get a proper bike fit. Without that then you have to play with cockpit settings to figure it out. You can adjust bar width, bar rise, bar sweep, stem length, stem rise and stem height. I won't give details for all these things but here's things to consider.
(1) Handlebar width - make sure the bars are correct width first. There's a few ways to figure it out: the push-up method, hold the bars against shoulders, etc. Your body determines your bars. Here's a video to help maybe.

(2) Stem length. If you're reaching too far away then you can put unnecessary stress on your body. Maybe your stem should be shorter. Ride style and stem length should match as well. Here's a link to some videos that may help.

(3) Stem height. If you're reaching too low then you can put unnecessary stress on your body. Maybe you need more rise on your stem, more rise on your handlebar or spacers under the stem. Here's another link.

You may also find better comfort by moving your saddle. Make sure the height is set properly first and then move it forward/backward and angle it a little and see how it feels.

Good luck.

Posted: Jun 18, 2022 at 13:47 Quote
I had recurring shoulder pain following an ac separation, and have the luxury of having a buddy that does fits. we traced the issue to how my spine and pelvis were interacting when pedaling and changing my seat position slightly forward helped immensely

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006135
Mobile Version of Website