Saint RD-M820 derailiuer - distance setting issue

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Saint RD-M820 derailiuer - distance setting issue
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 15, 2022 at 10:30 Quote
So, I've done some upgrades on my dinosaur and decided to go 1 × 10.

Got a Saint RD-M820 derailiuer and Deore XT CS-M771-10 11-32T cassette installed, and I've come across an issue.

I installed the mode converter as the manual states as it's a "freeride" cassette.

But I'm unable to set the distance to between 5-6mm on the largest sprocket, lowest gear. And that's with the B set screw all the way out as well.

This has me kind of stumped, so I was wondering if others have come across this and worked out a fix.

Posted: Jun 16, 2022 at 5:48 Quote
I think that I may have found the solution.

I considered removing the mode converter.

So, removed mode converter and confirmed I was able to set the distance required.

Seems Shimano made an error with their instructions, seems 11-32 cassettes are not "freeride" but instead fall into the "downhill" category.

So if anyone else has the same issue they now have an answer to the problem and can know how to fix it.

Its left me thinking that the mode converter must be for 34T or higher.

Posted: Jun 16, 2022 at 19:47 Quote
M0rd4c4i wrote:
I think that I may have found the solution.

I considered removing the mode converter.

So, removed mode converter and confirmed I was able to set the distance required.

Seems Shimano made an error with their instructions, seems 11-32 cassettes are not "freeride" but instead fall into the "downhill" category.

So if anyone else has the same issue they now have an answer to the problem and can know how to fix it.

Its left me thinking that the mode converter must be for 34T or higher.

Curious to know what chain you are running. I have the same RD and cassette but upshifting is off for some reason

Posted: Jun 17, 2022 at 6:13 Quote
I'm running a KMC X10SL Titanum Nitride chain, got to have a bit of class bling on your bike where you can.

Haven't even had to shorten it either.

But with the mode converter I found it impossible to set the required 5-6mm distance between the 32T and top sprocket of the derailiuer.

And if you can't set the distance properly that's going to mess up shifting in style, also I've heard it mentioned that the mode converter has an impact on shifting as well.

But seeing as you're running the same, remove the mode converter and set the distance to 5-6mm with the B set screw.
Shifting should be greatly improved then.

Posted: Jun 18, 2022 at 8:59 Quote
It's a small part that you add to the derailiuer for use with higher T count cassettes.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011955
Mobile Version of Website