BB30 in 68/73mm threaded... where to find one

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
BB30 in 68/73mm threaded... where to find one
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 15, 2022 at 20:26 Quote
I've come to find that Raceface BBs are "made of cheese" as another guy put it. I'm looking for another BB30 for my Raceface Turbine crankset with a 68/73mm spindle. Not looking to buy another RF BB this time around as my current one is not worn out yet will not stop creaking. I dont think I've even put 200 miles on it yet...

I've tightened everything down to spec. Creaking

Tightened past spec with lots of grease and plumbers tape on the threads. Still creaking.

Took apart again. Covered everything in way too much grease. Still creaking...

I dont want to drop big bucks on a Hope or Wheels Manufacturing BB either. Does anyone know of a good replacement.

Has anyone heard or used a Nukeproof? I cant seem to find too many options. Trying to not spend more than $60-70 on a new bb.

Could it also be something else that could come from the crankset? I've also tightened the bolts holding the cranks to the spindle as well as the locking holding the chainring. It's driving me nuts

Posted: Jun 16, 2022 at 7:36 Quote
Any chance that bb has plastic shields covering the bearings? With a properly sized dowel and a gentle hand I've heard it's possible to remove those, gain access to the bearings and perhaps add more grease to various areas that could be causing your creaking. If you can get those shields off you can then use a needle or dental pick to remove the bearing seals to clean and regrease. Might be worth a shot, of course if you're not careful you could damage those plastic sheilds.... But if it does work you're now able to"service" your bb, adding to it's lifespan & possibly getting rid of that creak...

If that doesn't work, get out a flashlight and check for cracks on top of welds, confirm it's not a bearing near the bb or shock mount causing the sound.... Could also be seatpost/seat... Tracking down creaks suck.

Posted: Jun 16, 2022 at 8:35 Quote
Are you very certain it is the BB creaking and not another part? If you have done a generous re-grease and torqued beyond spec, I wonder if it is not the BB. I am not familiar with race face BBs though.

Posted: Jun 16, 2022 at 10:39 Quote
eshew wrote:
Any chance that bb has plastic shields covering the bearings? With a properly sized dowel and a gentle hand I've heard it's possible to remove those, gain access to the bearings and perhaps add more grease to various areas that could be causing your creaking. If you can get those shields off you can then use a needle or dental pick to remove the bearing seals to clean and regrease. Might be worth a shot, of course if you're not careful you could damage those plastic sheilds.... But if it does work you're now able to"service" your bb, adding to it's lifespan & possibly getting rid of that creak...

If that doesn't work, get out a flashlight and check for cracks on top of welds, confirm it's not a bearing near the bb or shock mount causing the sound.... Could also be seatpost/seat... Tracking down creaks suck.

I know it's from the crankset/bb cause you can hear it only when spinning up the cranks. It might be due to the fact my shell is only a 68mm and im using 73mm cranks with the supplied BB spacers... It may be my pedals because I don't have the spacer washers where they thread in. I may try to take the covers off the bearings. I've removed the dust covers and greased between them as well but that sadly didn't work. Should I maybe try and get in touch with RaceFace? Probably worth a shot since I'm pretty sure I cant be the first person to have this issue...

Posted: Jun 16, 2022 at 10:40 Quote
MT36 wrote:
Are you very certain it is the BB creaking and not another part? If you have done a generous re-grease and torqued beyond spec, I wonder if it is not the BB. I am not familiar with race face BBs though.

It's either the BB or the crankset. Cant figure out which it is though. I cant locate it with my ears sadly

Posted: Jun 16, 2022 at 11:05 Quote
Sometimes pedals can creak if they are due for a refresh (new internal bearings and bushings, if spindles are worn down, those might need replaced). It can be decieving because this pedal issue may sound like its coming from the BB. Greasing the pedal threads that insert into the cranks is worth a try as well.

Posted: Jun 16, 2022 at 11:18 Quote
Will definitely be cleaning an regreasing EVERYTHING again and if that doesn't work... I'll get in touch with RF and maybe get a pedal refresh kit for my Mallet Es they're definitely due for a new set of bearings at the least. They don't feel bad and still spin freely. But they do have a slight amount of play. May swap on a different set of pedals and see if that stops the creaking. Thanks for helping me realize this.

Posted: Jun 16, 2022 at 12:19 Quote
tkrides-slow wrote:
Will definitely be cleaning an regreasing EVERYTHING again and if that doesn't work... I'll get in touch with RF and maybe get a pedal refresh kit for my Mallet Es they're definitely due for a new set of bearings at the least. They don't feel bad and still spin freely. But they do have a slight amount of play. May swap on a different set of pedals and see if that stops the creaking. Thanks for helping me realize this.

my drivetrain was making noises too last month. did a refesh on my mallets and it cleared the problem. They had some play as well, then the play was mostly gone after new bearings/bushings. Crank Bros recommends annual pedal refreshes... I had waited about three years.

Posted: Jun 16, 2022 at 12:29 Quote
I had an annoying creak in my bb so I swapped it for a new one. Turns out it was my frame bearings creaking and not the bb. Replaced those et voila!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006570
Mobile Version of Website