Giant Reign Chainline

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Reign Chainline
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 19, 2022 at 15:44 Quote
I'm having issues with crankset compatibility on my 2018 Giant Reign 2.

The bike originally came with a Praxis Cadet crankset M24. The Praxis manual shows this as a Gen 1 crankset and the "DMB-30T" stamped on the inside of the chainring suggests it is 0mm offset chainring that results in a 52mm chainline.

https://praxiscycles.com/wp-content/uploads/ALL-CHAINRING-GUIDE-REVF.pdf

The bike is definitely a 148mm boost rear axle. And given the 2018 year I would have thought that 55mm chainlines were not common (very unlikely). A 52mm chainline was/is considered boost when the bike was launched.

I've decided to change over to a shimano Deore crankset for better compatability with my other bikes, and the BB and chainring were at the end of their useful lives.

I bought the M6100 deore crankset advertised as a 52mm chainline. Fits fine in the bottom bracket but the chainline is too far inboard. There is bugger all clearance to the inside of the MRP chainguide. Space between the cranks and the chainstays also appears asymmetrical, with about 3mm more clearance on the non-drive side.

Questions:
1) Does anybody categorically know what the chainline on these 27.5 Giant Reigns is?
2) Has anybody fitted a current gen (M-x1xx series) Shimano crankset to their Gaint Reign, if so what model works? x100? x120? x130?
3) Has anybody run a previous generation Shimano crankset (eg M-7000) on their Giant Reign without issue? I believe the previous generation only had 52mm as the boost option, 55mm didn't exist.

At this stage it looks like I need to go and purchase a M-x120.

Thanks.

O+
Posted: Aug 26, 2022 at 8:37 Quote
Hey I recently changed my crankset to the raceface aeffect on my Giant Reign 2 2018.

That one advertises a 51mm chainline on their website.

https://www.raceface.ca/products/aeffect-crankset?utm_source=Redirect-pop-up-fromRFCOM

I have had no issues with my current setup so far.

Posted: Aug 27, 2022 at 1:21 Quote
I’ve put a set of DMR cranks on. So far so good. I’m on a 2018 reign and not had any chainline issues

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008299
Mobile Version of Website