Holy Brake Rotor Clearance, Batman!!!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Holy Brake Rotor Clearance, Batman!!!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 19, 2022 at 19:42 Quote
Just installed TRP DHR EVOs and the caliper mounted to this Fox 36 has an INSANELY tight clearance between the brake rotor surface and the washer of the mounting bolt! Like less than 1mm!! Any suggestions? I mean there’s no rubbing really but this just seems ridiculously close. And the rotor is aligned perfectly in the middle of the calipers so…. My only thought is to ditch the washer I guess.

https://imgur.com/gallery/hRdqA3P

Posted: Jun 20, 2022 at 5:15 Quote
What front hub are you running?

FL
Posted: Jun 20, 2022 at 5:26 Quote
allways been tight on Fox forks. Can't run Hope floating rotors as the rivets hit the fork (at least it used to be the case)

Posted: Jun 20, 2022 at 10:53 Quote
M0rd4c4i wrote:
What front hub are you running?

DT Swiss 350

Posted: Jun 20, 2022 at 12:35 Quote
That doesn't look right to me. Impossible to have your calliper centred over the rotor no?

Everything ok with the hub/spacers/axle?

Posted: Jun 20, 2022 at 13:52 Quote
epittman wrote:
That doesn't look right to me. Impossible to have your calliper centred over the rotor no?

Everything ok with the hub/spacers/axle?

Yep. Doesnt look right to me either but according to TRP rep “the tolerances are very tight.” Rotor is perfectly centered in the caliper. Rotor is appropriately torqued to the hub. Hub is a new DT Swiss 350. I went through the whole Fox 36 process of setting the axle and tightening the pinch bolt.

One thing I did notice was this new fork’s post mounts still have factory paint over the mounting surface… so they’re not faced perfect maybe? But the mounting adapter isn’t too close to the rotor. It’s just this dang washer. Simple fix will hopefully be to find a smaller outer diameter washer. :/

Posted: Jun 20, 2022 at 14:16 Quote
Are you using a centre lock adapter by any chance?

Posted: Jun 20, 2022 at 14:53 Quote
M0rd4c4i wrote:
Are you using a centre lock adapter by any chance?

No. The rotor is 6-bolted directly to the hub. No shim or material of any type between the rotor and the hub.

I’ve actually considered looking into milling 1mm off the rotor mounting surface lol

Posted: Jun 20, 2022 at 15:57 Quote
That makes things all the weirder, as there should be more clearance than there is.

But don't blame you with the idea of machining the hub some.

Posted: Jun 21, 2022 at 5:37 Quote
Just change the washer for a smaller one.

Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 2:37 Quote
See how that fairs with a warped disc or even globs of mud and stones,
not ideal for an off road machine.

Cant see a lot you can do there other than resize, replace washer,
outwith changing to a more spacious caliper design.

"I’ve actually considered looking into milling 1mm off the rotor mounting surface lol "

Not sure what that would acheive if the rotor is sitting central, your governed by the caliper
here, which seems poorly suited.

Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 4:40 Quote
If the hub is machined the rotor clearance will be improved, this sort of solution is a forgotten art to some.

Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 20:41 Quote
I'm not versed on DT Swiss hubs. what about the hub endcaps? do they different size cap on each side? If so are they on the correct side?

Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 20:52 Quote
M0rd4c4i wrote:
If the hub is machined the rotor clearance will be improved, this sort of solution is a forgotten art to some.

If the rotor is centered how would moving everything over 1mm do anything? You'd have more space to the fork and bolt, but the same space to the caliper.

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 5:15 Quote
@Maslin02 I'll let you think on what you just said there, as you already answered the question.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015481
Mobile Version of Website