What are some Wheels and hub options that are best for converting from QR to 10mm thread on dj set ups ?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
What are some Wheels and hub options that are best for converting from QR to 10mm thread on dj set ups ?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 21, 2022 at 22:51 Quote
Ideally I would like to know some older style wheels or hubs that are good or easy to use for a dj rear wheel set up. years ago I bought a dj bike off here and used and abused it a fair amount. But there was many years where i let it just sit like i did with other bikes with a plan of tuning it up at some point.

Now i have more tools and alot more drive to be a half decent bike mechanic and ive come to find out the bike i bought was kinda frankenstiened and had some odd ball parts on it the back wheel was like some old maybe specialized DH or XC wheel i dont know what for sure but the the axle and cones are toast now and have an axle and cone set coming from china.

For the future I want to learn to Take old DH or XC wheels and swap out the QR to a 10mm threaded and nut on axle are there any wheels or hubs that are ideal for this like in strength of the wheel and hub convertibility? Ive noticed there is also a few types of axles that could work but i am not sure with the sizes ranging from 9mm 9.5mm 10mm and a couple different TPI or what ever does this smallish axle size difference matter that much swapping out the internals or is it good as long as you have all the hardware cones lock nuts etc to fit that axle and hub ?

I have played around with the old cup and cone style hubs and know if its a similar set up in there i should be fine to figure this out but i am wondering how this might work for sealed bearing hubs will this just be easier to convert or harder because I need a more exact axle ?

Either way I would love to know everything about converting these types of wheels/hubs so they can fit an old dirt jumper any tips tricks or knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 4:55 Quote
I know HOPE Pro 4 Single Speed/Trials do a 10mm bolt axle, don't know if they'd be of interest to you though.

Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 23:55 Quote
M0rd4c4i wrote:
I know HOPE Pro 4 Single Speed/Trials do a 10mm bolt axle, don't know if they'd be of interest to you though.

Very cool I have seen those before and have checked out most of the more modern options for hubs and wheels when it comes to dirt jumper rear wheel set ups.

Im kinda looking for more of the old school and odd ball information when it comes to converting wheels and hubs to a 10mmX135mm axle drop out fit.

I feel like it might be hard to get this info as its kinda oldschool how the homies were doing it 15 ish years ago about the age of my bike lol and the dude definitely just rigged up the bike with odd ball parts all over the place im sure he stripped all the better parts off that bike and built another that being said it was sturdy and took alot of abuse.

Im thinking for now I might just have to keep an eye out for loose ball hub rear wheels from older DH or XC bikes that were known for being strong or atleast were decently strong wheels im not sure whats on my bike right now but its quit strong and doesn't seem special. I feel like if i dig super deep into the pinkbike archives i will find some info but i really don't know where to start

Im trying hard to be a bike mechanic these day as it has been a plan of mine since i was a like 10yrs old and it only took me like 20 years to truly start i got lots of tools and work on bikes more but im trying to keep it on the cheap because ive recently become broke ish again. looking for old wheels and hubs to upgrade my crusty old dj. haha just sanded that bad boy gonna paint it tomorrow.

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 2:09 Quote
another vote for Hope Trials/10mm bolt up hubs. I put em on all my QR or DJ bikes. Never move in a slotted axle. parts for life. and HOPE! Also one of the few hubs still availible in 36 spoke.

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 5:27 Quote
No worries @mikeylikebikey, hopefully you can find someone selling one of the PRO 4 Trials 2nd hand as they've been round for a while.

And as @naptime has mentioned, you can get lots of spare components for them. One thing I have heard and know of is sourcing your own bearings for them, as that can work out cheaper.

But the PRO 4 trails have been used by some folks for DH.

Posted: Jun 26, 2022 at 15:24 Quote
[Quote="M0rd4c4i"
And as @naptime has mentioned, you can get lots of spare components for them. One thing I have heard and know of is sourcing your own bearings for them, as that can work out cheaper.

Yeah I heard that its sounds amazing a step in the right direction we need more of that especially in the mtb world to make it more affordable for everyone. There is a bearing manufacturer close to my place that i have tried to find some bmx bearing there but they did no have any Spanish bb size,

My understanding is that you could just bring your bearing to a manufacturer then they would measure em and grab ya some or just find the size and order them from anywhere that has them that would be amazing.

Posted: Jun 27, 2022 at 7:25 Quote
@mikeylikebikey any place that does engineering could measure them up for you or you could pick up a pair of vernier calipers to do it yourself.

Then there's plenty of places you can source bearings from online.

So same dimensions, higher spec.

The only thing you really need from HOPE then is spares such as axles, end caps and the likes. And the important one, the bearing drift kit to make sure replacements go without a hitch then.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010628
Mobile Version of Website