Spire frame alignment issues?

PB Forum :: Transition
Spire frame alignment issues?
| Next Page
Posted: Jul 19, 2022 at 17:01 Quote
bikebasher wrote:
gramboh wrote:
gramboh wrote:
Have seen the posts on the TOSS Facebook group. Mine is off a few mm (Patrol received August 2021) but my Float X2 is still going fine. I'm kind of surprised given all the reliability issues reported on the X2 and the fact I'm a big dude riding Shore/Sea to Sky. Got lucky I guess, knock on wood.

Jinxed myself, X2 damper blew on a ride yesterday. Taking it to Fox for warranty soon. Will measure alignment when I take shock out (Patrol not Spire).

Did the X2 spew oil everywhere? They have been cracking where the main tube goes into the trunnion body. Fox was just sending bodies out, but now they are asking for the shock back and "warrantying" them by giving you a new one....that is no different and will break again (by their own admission).

Best bet is to sell the brand new replacement and get something else before the one year warranty coverage runs out and you're screwed.

Yeah tons of oil suddenly spewing out from the reservoir/trunnion mount side of the shock body down. Happened at the top of a 900m vert descent, by about half way down I had zero damping left so figure all the fluid had leaked out haha. I inspected the shock but couldn't see any cracks from the main shaft body, or am I misunderstanding and it's a tube inside the shock body?

Either way, dropped it off at Fox yesterday, will see what they say when I pick it up. I cannot find a DHX2 205x60 for sale in Canada, and had heard they sometimes have reliability issues too. Thought about the new 2023 RS Super Deluxe coil with HBO but no stock in 205x60 till October. Cane Creek Kitsuma coil/air is in stock but I have trouble spending $950CAD on a Cane Creek product given their history. DVO Jade X might be an option.

I will likely ride the warranty rebuild until a DHX2 or 2023 Super Deluxe coil is in stock. If it blows up again, back to Fox for warranty I guess? I need to check if it's just one year from original bike purchase or not.

For what it's worth, my Patrol shock mount alignment is very close, probably off less than 1mm or within tolerance.

Posted: Jul 19, 2022 at 20:43 Quote
gramboh wrote:
bikebasher wrote:
gramboh wrote:

Jinxed myself, X2 damper blew on a ride yesterday. Taking it to Fox for warranty soon. Will measure alignment when I take shock out (Patrol not Spire).

Did the X2 spew oil everywhere? They have been cracking where the main tube goes into the trunnion body. Fox was just sending bodies out, but now they are asking for the shock back and "warrantying" them by giving you a new one....that is no different and will break again (by their own admission).

Best bet is to sell the brand new replacement and get something else before the one year warranty coverage runs out and you're screwed.

Yeah tons of oil suddenly spewing out from the reservoir/trunnion mount side of the shock body down. Happened at the top of a 900m vert descent, by about half way down I had zero damping left so figure all the fluid had leaked out haha. I inspected the shock but couldn't see any cracks from the main shaft body, or am I misunderstanding and it's a tube inside the shock body?

Either way, dropped it off at Fox yesterday, will see what they say when I pick it up. I cannot find a DHX2 205x60 for sale in Canada, and had heard they sometimes have reliability issues too. Thought about the new 2023 RS Super Deluxe coil with HBO but no stock in 205x60 till October. Cane Creek Kitsuma coil/air is in stock but I have trouble spending $950CAD on a Cane Creek product given their history. DVO Jade X might be an option.

I will likely ride the warranty rebuild until a DHX2 or 2023 Super Deluxe coil is in stock. If it blows up again, back to Fox for warranty I guess? I need to check if it's just one year from original bike purchase or not.

For what it's worth, my Patrol shock mount alignment is very close, probably off less than 1mm or within tolerance.

Join the DVO group on Facebook. I’d trust cane creek over the jade x. Cane creeks issues were really just with the in-line shock designs. But the Jade x is known to spew oil quite regularly. Not that it’s a bad shock, it’s not. But it certainly isn’t the most reliable.

Posted: Jul 25, 2022 at 20:43 Quote
Hey,

I'm curious. What exactly is misaligned, and how so? How could someone check their frame?

I have a Patrol and I was thinking it would be pretty hard to get accurate measurements on the shock mount position.

Cheers!

Posted: Jul 25, 2022 at 21:14 Quote
compulsivebikewasher wrote:
Hey,

I'm curious. What exactly is misaligned, and how so? How could someone check their frame?

I have a Patrol and I was thinking it would be pretty hard to get accurate measurements on the shock mount position.

Cheers!

undo top of shock and pull it forward and then try put it back.
Remove Seat stay to rocker bolts, try put back without pushing it one way.

Posted: Jul 26, 2022 at 2:36 Quote
compulsivebikewasher wrote:
Hey,

Cheers!

Transition says to unbolt the trunnion bolts while leaving the lower shock mount tight. Push the top of the shock just forward of the mounting hardware in the rocker link. You’ll see if it sits off to one side. Mine was off about 4mm to the drive side

Posted: Jul 26, 2022 at 8:35 Quote
Thanks, I will give it a try!

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 2:57 Quote
2022 Patrol here with the same misalignment issue, Windwave and Transition have been fine about it and new frame is on the way from the US.
Mine was out by quite a way, had to put the top trunion bolts in first, then the bottom bolt. Shock ( rs super deluxe ultimate) seems ok though. It did snap the lower bolt though, that's how I knew I had an issue

Simon

Posted: Sep 17, 2022 at 21:46 Quote
My x2 on my spire had a cracked shock body as well.

Posted: Sep 17, 2022 at 21:51 Quote
mangochaos wrote:

I should add based on the above comments.

I had no oil leakage or indication that anything was wrong. My frame alignment is totally spot on. What I’m hearing is that the way this frame and linkage translates force into the shock is not cooperating nicely with the trunnion, Too much stress and fox used poor material choices. I’ve talk to a number of other owners on the North Shore. They’ve all experienced the exact same issue, most have been switching to coils were possible.

Posted: Sep 18, 2022 at 0:18 Quote
mangochaos wrote:
mangochaos wrote:

I had no oil leakage or indication that anything was wrong. My frame alignment is totally spot on. What I’m hearing is that the way this frame and linkage translates force into the shock is not cooperating nicely with the trunnion, Too much stress and fox used poor material choices. I’ve talk to a number of other owners on the North Shore. They’ve all experienced the exact same issue, most have been switching to coils were possible.

Patrol owner that rides mostly the shore (Seymour shuttles) and I've broken my X2 twice, first time 11 months and then after 7 weeks/15 rides since Fox in Burnaby fixed it. First failure it spewed oil, second time slower leak. Ordered a Super Deluxe Coil and will be selling the X2 after it's fixed (like so many others haha).

Posted: Sep 20, 2022 at 14:07 Quote
gramboh wrote:
mangochaos wrote:
mangochaos wrote:

Patrol owner that rides mostly the shore (Seymour shuttles) and I've broken my X2 twice, first time 11 months and then after 7 weeks/15 rides since Fox in Burnaby fixed it. First failure it spewed oil, second time slower leak. Ordered a Super Deluxe Coil and will be selling the X2 after it's fixed (like so many others haha).

Would love to start gathering some data around all this, it seems that the overall sentiment is that transition knows it is an issue, they air shock is known to fail, although I have no data from the SRAM/RS side of the equation. Maybe I'll set up a poll or something to start gathering some information on the matter.

Posted: Sep 20, 2022 at 20:01 Quote
mangochaos wrote:
gramboh wrote:
mangochaos wrote:

Would love to start gathering some data around all this, it seems that the overall sentiment is that transition knows it is an issue, they air shock is known to fail, although I have no data from the SRAM/RS side of the equation. Maybe I'll set up a poll or something to start gathering some information on the matter.

Alloy GX spec here,
Superdeluxe air has no issues. You don't hear much about them failing like you do the X2s.
Also my frame alignment is nearly perfect. Possible the best of any trunnion bike I've had.

Posted: Sep 22, 2022 at 10:07 Quote
mangochaos wrote:
gramboh wrote:
mangochaos wrote:

Check out the Transition Owners Facebook group (TOSS) if you are on Facebook. I haven't seen a single RockShox shock failure posted there, it's all X2's and maybe 1 or 2 DHX2 (current gen). This matches the anecdotes I've seen posted from suspension tuners online that the current/previous gen RS stuff is bomber in comparison to current gen Fox. If the RS stuff can deal with the frame misalignment on the trunnion shocks and without blowing up, that is a pretty big endorsement. This factored into me ordered a 2023 SD coil, can't wait for it to get here.

Only problem is selling a Float X2 is impossible, there are 176 listings on PB buy sell right now for "Float X2" in air shocks for 2021+ model years. Probably worth under $500CAD for a "new" warranty rebuild when they cost $900CAD new.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007913
Mobile Version of Website