Used/Older High-End Vs New Mid-Range

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Used/Older High-End Vs New Mid-Range
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 19:57 Quote
Hey Everyone,

I am relatively new to mountain biking, having owned 2 hardtails, I was looking for some guidance on my first "real" bike.

I've had a trek superfly 7 & a Vitus, both Large frame with 29" tires.

I now want a full suspension that can take my hobby to the next level.

My question is; should i go for a used High End or a New Mid range .

The example I will give is; 2016 Intense Tracer Palmer Edition for $3500(MSRP in 2016 was 8k) vs 2021 Canyon Spectral CF7 $4000

The Intense has around 500 miles on it with no prior services.

I would really appreciate the help!

Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 0:26 Quote
Personal opinion, seat tube angle and front suspension improvements over the years are no joke. Are your trails fast or slow and technical? Fast: modern bike because the wheelbase will be longer so the bike will feel safer and stable. Slow: the Intense should be good. For climbing, modern bike!! Having said that, I’m sure the Intense is a good bike but for the same money spent I’d go with a modern bike, even if it has worst components. You can upgrade components as it breaks/ worned out, but you can’t tweak a frame’s geometry.

Or, if possible ride them and see what YOU like.
Either way, have fun

FL
Posted: Jun 27, 2022 at 9:56 Quote
Also depends on how long you want your next purchase to last. Modern bikes have better options for upgrades and replacements in the next few years - depending on what that older bike was built with, the parts to fix the suspension or wheels etc may start to run out as well.

Another thing is servicing - 500 miles is either a few years of light riding or a season of hard riding, and either way that bike would probably need a checkover. Depending on work and availability, it'll eat up that $500 savings between the 2 bikes right away.

From personal experience - I was in the same boat. I used to ride a lot then took almost a 10 year break (moved, then kids, then finances/time...) and decided to buy a brand new "mid range" ($4000 Norco Sight A1) instead of an older "high-end". This bike rides better than the $8000 bikes I rode back in 2014 - it climbs better, descends better, fits better, and it's the bike I wished I had 10 years ago when I was in shape! I used to have a 2010 DH race bike and a 2013 trail bike and this one outperforms both together.

Posted: Jun 27, 2022 at 10:30 Quote
That Intense has ANCIENT geometry, many other bikes of that age were much more modern.... Skip the Intense.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 27, 2022 at 15:09 Quote
Ep-RC wrote:
Hey Everyone,

I am relatively new to mountain biking, having owned 2 hardtails, I was looking for some guidance on my first "real" bike.

I've had a trek superfly 7 & a Vitus, both Large frame with 29" tires.

I now want a full suspension that can take my hobby to the next level.

My question is; should i go for a used High End or a New Mid range .

The example I will give is; 2016 Intense Tracer Palmer Edition for $3500(MSRP in 2016 was 8k) vs 2021 Canyon Spectral CF7 $4000

The Intense has around 500 miles on it with no prior services.

I would really appreciate the help!

New mid-range. After servicing the suspension and brakes you’ll not save an initial investment and you won’t have any warranties.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007802
Mobile Version of Website