Carbon wheels

• Previous Page
Posted: Jun 23, 2022 at 17:01 Quote
I want to upgrade to a new set of wheels from my current 29" WTB Sti30 rims and DT 370 on my Rocky Mountain instinct. I don't follow all the latest brands out there. What are some of the good ones to be looking at? I can get a pretty good deal on Roval wheels. How are the Roval Contact? They seem pretty light just torn between the inner width. Not sure if I should drop down to a 29mm internal width...

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 4:36 Quote
Mate, what is wrong with 29mm internal width on an Instinct? I recently had a set of Duke rims built up, awesome raw carbon looks and plenty of options to choose from.

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 6:42 Quote
Reserves on Industry 9 Hydras...

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 10:27 Quote
Are you looking for wider rims or do you want to stay with 30?

Posted: Jun 30, 2022 at 15:03 Quote
Explodo wrote:

I really don't know. I don't have experience in rims. Based on what I have read and the type of riding I enjoy doing, I need a rim that takes a 2.3-2.5 tire.

Posted: Jun 30, 2022 at 16:03 Quote
If you are looking for something a little less pricey specialized makes a great wheel and same with nobl

O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 2:50 Quote
taterraider wrote:
Explodo wrote:

I really don't know. I don't have experience in rims. Based on what I have read and the type of riding I enjoy doing, I need a rim that takes a 2.3-2.5 tire.

I've just upgraded my wheels on my Specialized Enduro to E13 TRS Race rims with Hope Pro 4 Hubs. I can't complain... other than the cost. Think their inner dimensions are 28mm so Ideal for 2.3-2.5 tyres.

Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 6:18 Quote
I think wider rims feel better as long as they're not too wide for the tire. Wider rims help keep the tire from folding over at lower pressures. Think of it as a wide ball sitting on a narrow cup. It's less stable than sitting on a wider cup.

PB has lots of folks who say that if you go with a wider rim you'll tear sidewalls nonstop, but that has not been my experience.

I run 35 internal rims on my ripmo(ibis factory spec) and they're great.

Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 6:35 Quote
Explodo wrote:
I think wider rims feel better as long as they're not too wide for the tire. Wider rims help keep the tire from folding over at lower pressures. Think of it as a wide ball sitting on a narrow cup. It's less stable than sitting on a wider cup.

PB has lots of folks who say that if you go with a wider rim you'll tear sidewalls nonstop, but that has not been my experience.

That is a double edged sword though. Its always a compromise. I have 30mm rims and 27mm rims, same tires on both. I prefer the 27mm as they transition better to cornering, have a better profile for that transition. That is the only real difference I notice, but I am also not bombing downhills or doing big jumps. I ride primarily downcountry type stuff. I run 2.4 Bonty XR4's.

Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 7:18 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Explodo wrote:

That is a double edged sword though. Its always a compromise. I have 30mm rims and 27mm rims, same tires on both. I prefer the 27mm as they transition better to cornering, have a better profile for that transition. That is the only real difference I notice, but I am also not bombing downhills or doing big jumps. I ride primarily downcountry type stuff. I run 2.4 Bonty XR4's.

Fair enough. I tend to run the biggest tire the frame will take, so 2.6 on the aforementioned ripmo. Tire design can play into rim width as well. Maxxis did the whole wt thing a few years ago to cover wider rims.

Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 7:49 Quote
We are in agreement. : ) I just don't need or want a big tire. I am more weight conscience than some. We all have to fit these wheels/tires to our tereain and how we ride.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 20:07 Quote
WAO or Reserve rims. Hub of your choice. One of the advantages of GOOD carbon wheels is increased durability and ease of ownership. Get the good stuff with a good warranty and customer support or stick with alloy.

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 22:02 Quote
Be prepared for more trail chatter. Going from aluminum to carbon wheels was nice in the weight department and in cornering, especially snapping out of berms, bit I ended up disliking the ride characteristics quite a bit because trails felt way harsher.
In order to counter this, I've been running Rimpact inserts and this has been incredible. However, it counteracts the weight benefits.
I wouldnt give them back, but definitely feel like carbon wheels are not worth the money for the performance gains.

Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 5:14 Quote
Depends on the wheel. My experience is the opposite. I have a set of Reserve 27's and a set of I9 Enduro S wheels. Subtle difference, but my carbon Reserves are better at damping out the chatter from the trail.

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 10:30 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Explodo wrote:

how sure about thiat are you?
whats the profile look like on both tires where the rubber meets the ground with you on the bike? @25-35psi they look the same, squished a bit flat......, infact due to the physics of the tire at the same pressure the tire contact area must be the same.

whats the unlaiden profile got to do with that?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010410
Mobile Version of Website