Mullet my XC?

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 25, 2022 at 21:52 Quote
Hi, I’m 5’6 155. I ride a M trek pro caliber which is at the top of the range size wise for me. It’s got 100mm front and 66mm rear travel and I use it not as a race bike but as a daily trail bike —and It’s been a blast. it’s so light. The single track in nj is nothing crazy but is flowy, tight, rooty with climbs and descends, along with pumps, jumps and hips to hit. My problem is that I’m coming off an old hard tail 26er that I could throw all over he place and was all about fun.. And through there are things I like about my 29er, namely high end speed and blast-through capability, I must say its a bit of a buzz kill when I want air or really wanna get spit out of a berm. And because I’m shorter my butt sometimes rubs the tire off the back. Also Not so fun.

Q: Is it worth buying a good rear wheel and trying some 27.5 mullet action. I’ve never seen this discussed on a full on XC bike and I bet there’s a good reason hehe. But heck, I thought I’d ask. If I did it, I would replace the cranks w/165mm to help lessen chance of petal strikes. Currently My head angle is 69. That’ll drop it a degree or so which could be fun on dh portions...would love to hear ur thoughts.

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 23:56 Quote
Best option is to try and find a friend with a compatible 27.5" wheel to give it a go.
It will obviously slacken the HA which will prbably be a good thing.
Depends on how much speep climbing you do as to whether the significantly slacker seat tube angle will have an impact.
But I suggest the biggest problem will be pedal strikes.I've done similar by putting a 26" on the rear of a 27.5" bike and the pedal strikes killed it for me.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005661
Mobile Version of Website