Best dropper posts with external cable routing?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Best dropper posts with external cable routing?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 27, 2022 at 10:43 Quote
I am shopping for a dropper post for my Anthem X Advanced 29 to make it a bit more capable, however; the frame does not allow for internal cable routing for a dropper post and it seems that not all dropper posts can do external cable routing. Any suggestions for a good dropper post, particularly one that isn't the heaviest out there?

Posted: Jun 27, 2022 at 12:45 Quote
Brand X droppers have been absolutely bulletproof over the last 6 years that I've owned them. They have external ones and are extremely affordable.

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 7:18 Quote
UncleChimney wrote:
Brand X droppers have been absolutely bulletproof over the last 6 years that I've owned them. They have external ones and are extremely affordable.

Thanks. Just ordered a Brand X - Ascend II dropper post as it was priced quite low and reviews well as you say. I'll give it a try and see how it works.

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 7:34 Quote
Awesome, that's a great choice. I have 2 of them, one has been on my bike for about six years and all I've ever done was add air to it once and the other one I only bought because I wanted a 200mm dropper. I bought a 2021 bike with a One-up dropper 210mm and I've already had to order a new cartridge for it and add air numerous times. When I have to buy again it'll definitely be a Brand X for me!

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 8:42 Quote
UncleChimney wrote:
Awesome, that's a great choice. I have 2 of them, one has been on my bike for about six years and all I've ever done was add air to it once and the other one I only bought because I wanted a 200mm dropper. I bought a 2021 bike with a One-up dropper 210mm and I've already had to order a new cartridge for it and add air numerous times. When I have to buy again it'll definitely be a Brand X for me!

My older xc bike doesn't seem to have a lot of room so for my first time using a dropper post I opted for what I figured would most likely fit, a 400 mm dropper with 125 mm of travel. I know people are using 150-170 mm travel dropper posts now-a-days but I don't know that one of those would fit. I guess if I like this setup and figure out the 150 mm would fit, I could give it a try later. It's just with the minimum insertion requirements, how high I want my saddle and what little I understand about adjusting these things, the 400 mm / 125 mm dropper just seemed like the most likely to fit and work without going hardcore on the measurements. Actually, my stock post is about 400 mm long and with some testing I think I was only able to push it down another 22 cm so I think the 450 mm post may not work anyways.

So in order for me to set it up for my height, I simply install the post in the up position placing the saddle where I like it and hope everything fits? I guess it all depends on minimum insertion vs how far the post can be in the frame and still have the saddle at the height I need when up.

Here is another question, can dropper posts like the one I bought be used at different heights or do I have to have it all the way down or all the way up?

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 10:09 Quote
Yes, better safe than sorry and if you're coming from no dropper then 125mm is going to feel great once you get used to using it! Yes you can use it at different heights as it is "infinitely" adjustable though I find myself almost always having it full up or full down.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 21:03 Quote
Fits ok. Now to route the cable through the internal cable routing along the top tube. Fun wow. And lots of swearing ...lol

Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 6:30 Quote
Works ok. It feels a bit weird to use being that I am not used to it. Dropped all the way on some descents it feels like my control is a bit lacking vs what I am used to. I usually descend with my arms extended and my torso all the way back with my belly kind of touching the seat. I think in the long run I will likely run a lower travel post like an 80-100 mm as the trails I ride here are not full of super steep gnarly downhills. I don't really benefit as much from a dropper but some drop is handy. Lower travel droppers are also lighter anyways.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005365
Mobile Version of Website