DeMullet a bike.

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
DeMullet a bike.
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 13:26 Quote
Hey guys, I know this is the opposite of what everyone is doing. but anyway.
I'm looking for a trail bike frame to try to keep the costs down and get rid of my enduro frame as i do more trailish rides now a days. The Status 140 looks cool but its a mullet and my enduro rig is 27.5 front and back. how shitty do you think it would ride if I put a 27.5 for on a a mixed wheel bike. I figure if I get a 27.5 with a similar fork length it wont effect the geo to much. Thoughts?

Posted: Jun 30, 2022 at 16:26 Quote
To be honest mate, if you're looking at buying a new frame, just buy one designed as full 27.5. It'd be expensive buying a new fork adding to the cost of a new frame which may end up not feeling great. If you were set on the status, you'd need to find a similar axle to crown length as the stock 29er but also take into consideration the fact you're reducing about 3/4" with the smaller front wheel. You'll probably end up using a longer travel fork and have to play about a lot with sag and volume spacers to get a similar ride to the mullet set up.

Posted: Jun 30, 2022 at 20:26 Quote
Im all for trying new and weird things (none of my bikes are stock) but I think this woudl be a bad idea.
You'd need around a 200mm fork to keep the geo similar to stock, and thats hardly a 'trail' bike.Otherwise youll end up with a super low BB, on a bike that already has a low BB.

As Dean669 said; youre best to get a frame designed for full 27.5

Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 9:23 Quote
Good stuff thanks for the feed back.
I really like the looks of the Transition Scout and other similar frames. just kinda had to entertain the idea lol.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 8:07 Quote
I would think if you kept a 29 fork on a mullet bike and only put a 27.5 wheel on it you might have to raise the travel(lengthen the fork) by 10-20mm to retain semi correct geometry.

If you put a 27.5 specific fork on which will have a shorter Axle to Crown(A2C) than a 29 fork, I would think you might need something 20-30mm bigger in travel(or A2C) to compensate for the shorter fork and wheel.

Its possible it will probably take some experimenting and really researching fork specs and deciding what you really want prior to proceeding.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005465
Mobile Version of Website