Best brake pads.

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Best brake pads.
Previous Page |
Posted: Jun 30, 2022 at 10:28 Quote
I have Shimano 4 pistion calipers. I previously used OEM shimano pads on my 2 piston XT calipers and found them to be the best in terms of perfermance and value. Typically I could buy a set of resin for £12-£16 and they would last well. The only aftermarket pads that I like are Rahox and they are not currently trading.

Now with my 4 piston calipers the metal pads are available, DO2S for £16, but the resin pads are £26 or more.
So I am considering aftermarket pads. I have used superstar, EBC, and uber before but they were not very good. What about Galfer? Gorllia?
Any others?

Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 23:23 Quote
toys19 wrote:
I have Shimano 4 pistion calipers. I previously used OEM shimano pads on my 2 piston XT calipers and found them to be the best in terms of perfermance and value. Typically I could buy a set of resin for £12-£16 and they would last well. The only aftermarket pads that I like are Rahox and they are not currently trading.

Now with my 4 piston calipers the metal pads are available, DO2S for £16, but the resin pads are £26 or more.
So I am considering aftermarket pads. I have used superstar, EBC, and uber before but they were not very good. What about Galfer? Gorllia?
Any others?

Anyone?

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 0:38 Quote
I don't have a great deal of experience with third party pads but Shimano's metallic pads are so much better than their resin pads it's not even funny. Is there a reason to avoid metallic (other than maybe the calipers being MT420s)?

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 0:57 Quote
Thanks for the reply. You watching the rugby?
This is my first time with 4 piston, I was xt twin piston before, always used resin, found them to be excellent.
These came with metallic pads and they are wooden, no feel and not as powerful. So I am looking for resin to get a similar feel as my 2 pistions. If metallic is so good, what am I missing?
I have icetech rotors also.

Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 0:35 Quote
I was unable to watch the test, I've seen the highlights but it probably doesn't give a good idea of how the match flowed. Nice to see the Wobblies survive against the odds though...

A lack of power sounds a bit weird, could it be as simple as the metallic pads requiring a bit more of a break in period? I haven't used a lot of resin alternatives to the Shimano pads so unfortunately so I can't give any good recommendations sorry, a friend swears by SwissStop though.

Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 1:04 Quote
Uberbike race matrix pads have been amazing for me, great bite, good wear, cheap cheap cheap!

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 6:15 Quote
Galfer makes a good pad for a decent price. Made by a company who makes brakes for most applications.

From my experience, stay away from the random brands you only see on Amazon or eBay and cannot find in a online bike shop. Many knock off pads out there make promises they cannot keep, use crappy glue to hold the pad together and generally just suck. My first set of MT7s I got used from a guy who claimed they were terrible brakes, all because he insisted on using knock off ebay brake pads. Threw some oem pads in and good as new.

Basically, don’t cheap out on buying pads if you ride with any level of aggressiveness.

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 14:08 Quote
Yeah that my attitude, hence I normally prefer OEM shimanos, but I can't find any for 4 piston brakes at anything like the price for my old 2 pistons. 30£ and end is taking the piss...
I'll have a look at galfer cheers.

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 22:01 Quote
You don't mention if your rotors are new, or used, and what the status is of your brakes, and brake calipers. For example, do the brakes need fresh hydraulic fluid, and proper bleeding? Are the rotors used and no longer a completely flat surface? Is this an install of 4 piston brakes and the calipers are not spaced from the frame and fork sufficient so that the pad is running centered in the actual braking surface of the rotor?

The reason I mention/ask all of this, is that metallic pads on nice rotors are going to give extremely good braking performance, especially once warm/hot. For you to say that resin pads have better braking, makes me question all of the above, that I was asking about.

May I suggest that you take a look at the wear, and new wear pattern, on the rotors, both sides, and replace the rotors unless they are completely new and perfect. The new metallic pads will be perfectly machined flat, so if the braking surface of the rotor is anything other than perfect, you'll get very little actual contact between the pad surface, and the rotor surface......like cupping your hand, and holding it against a window. Your finger tips and the heel of your hand will touch, but that's only 5% of your whole hand. Same thing happens with brakes. Metallic pads on new rotors, given a ride or 2 to bed in properly, will throw you over the bars if you really grabbed a handful of brake levers.

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 22:19 Quote
CSdirt wrote:
MTX pads.
+1

O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 4:27 Quote
EBC reds will get you stopped quick. But you need to like grabby brakes.

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 19:59 Quote
CSdirt wrote:
CSdirt wrote:
MTX pads.
+1

+2

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 0:45 Quote
dancingwithmyself wrote:
CSdirt wrote:
CSdirt wrote:
MTX pads.
+1

+2
+3 Best pads ive ever ran. Have them on all my bikes

Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 4:00 Quote
bigburd wrote:
Uberbike race matrix pads have been amazing for me, great bite, good wear, cheap cheap cheap!
Hi pal,
I am from Glasgow and have Magura MT5. I was thinking about this brand last week. How is the performance so far? Do you recommend Kevlar ones for our weather conditions?
Ps: I have noisy things

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006603
Mobile Version of Website