Trade advice - my 2020 fuel Ex 5 for 2016 SC 5010?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Trade advice - my 2020 fuel Ex 5 for 2016 SC 5010?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 30, 2022 at 16:42 Quote
Hey all this is my very first post

I’m relatively new to mountain biking and looking for some bike advice. I took up the sport in 2020, right in the middle of the pandemic. I lucked out in scoring a Trek Fuel EX 5 when bikes were impossible to get.

Three seasons later I’m more experienced and know what I didn’t know back then. This Fuel EX is a huge monster truck that makes my tight twisty local trail boring. There’s not much in my price range at pros closet, but there is an interesting Santa Cruz 5010 C build. Now, I’m not a jumper or jibber at all, but reviews of the 5010 suggest it can make tight twisty trails fun due to its snappy zippy nature.

My main concern is that it’s a 2016 model. Thats 4 years older than my Fuel EX. I can’t afford a v4 model. I don’t want to do something stupid by trading in a 2020 Fuel EX for something that will seem antiquated by comparison. Setting aside the wheel size difference, would a 2016 carbon 5010 with better components be an “upgrade” from absolute lowest spec’d 2020 Fuel EX?

Posted: Jun 30, 2022 at 20:45 Quote
Personally, I dont believe that any 2016 bike is better than a 2020 bike (from a good brand). I'm sure others will disagree.

It looks like the Trek is actually steeper than the 5010, so I wouldn't expect the 5010 to ride much less like a moster truck. Unless you really dont like the 29er wheels of the Trek (which can seem a little monster truck compared with 27.5").

I think the 2020 Fuels have a geo flip chip. Are you running it in the high geometry setting? This might make a difference for you.

Posted: Jun 30, 2022 at 21:22 Quote
Cpembo6 wrote:
I think the 2020 Fuels have a geo flip chip. Are you running it in the high geometry setting? This might make a difference for you.

It comes in the low setting by default and I left it that way. I might experiment with it in high and see how it feels, the bike shop where I bought it is good with free service, adjustments, and advise like that. I do like the way the Fuel EX feels descending at speed and over rough sections. I live in Colorado so I need a bike that’s capable pretty much everywhere I might find myself including resorts. I just wish it were more fun on my local neighborhood trail which is tight twisty with a lot of deceleration and acceleration. There’s a couple short punchy technical climbs but no extended fast flat or downhill sections. The only way to make it fun is to carve in and out of the tight turns, and pop and weave across the trail. Maybe the bigger Fuel EX is capable of that type of riding but I’m just not skilled enough for it….

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005237
Mobile Version of Website