What are some strong lower priced rims i can use as a dj rear wheel.

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
What are some strong lower priced rims i can use as a dj rear wheel.
Previous Page |
Posted: Jun 30, 2022 at 20:15 Quote
Ive seen some sun ringle rims that seem to be the way to go but i really dont know much about mtb rims at all. I also read that alex rims can be good im just wondering what are your opinions on this and if you have any recommendations.

I dont care about weight at all i just want some cheaper options that could take what dj bikes are meant to do dirt jumps with the occasional case on a landings haha .

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 8:51 Quote
mikeylikebikey wrote:
Ive seen some sun ringle rims that seem to be the way to go but i really dont know much about mtb rims at all. I also read that alex rims can be good im just wondering what are your opinions on this and if you have any recommendations.

I dont care about weight at all i just want some cheaper options that could take what dj bikes are meant to do dirt jumps with the occasional case on a landings haha .

“Cheap” is a relative term. But, Sun MTX are freaking Bombproof. And readily available in 32 or 36 hole.

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 14:56 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:
[
“Cheap” is a relative term. But, Sun MTX are freaking Bombproof. And readily available in 32 or 36 hole.

Hell yeah thats what I got from a few hours of clicking around on the internet and thats probably where ill end up sun mtx is just sun ringle right like they are the same brand hey ?
What do you think of ryno lites i have a feeling they might not be suitable for a rear but maybe a front would be fine.

Do you know anything about easily convertible hubs for a decent price. All i know is i can take cheaper free ball hubs like a shimano deore XT M756A and slap a Chinese 10mm cup and cone axle in it and have it running right quick and i guess they are durable and reliable but dont have all the bells and whistles like other hubs but as long as the free hub doesn't skip on hard cranks i dont care really as long as it works ok my current free hub works but not well and is seized to the hub. so i cant replace it it is stuck on there till I throw out the hub i know of a couple other potential hubs that could be converted but i have very little experience in working with hubs and they take a little more work.

I really want to bring back the old school making wheels and parts for dj bikes cheap again and once i have more knowledge maybe even make some content to help younger folks and anyone who doesn't
have 3 grand to drop on a dj bike or who doesn't have 600 to 2000 dollars to spend on a rear wheel or sus fork really try and make it accessible for most people i did not have a dj or mtb until way later in life because of how far out of reach everything was price wise and repair or self building wise.

Even just building a proper tool kit is stupid pricey and unnecessarily complicated because brands are silly and never want anything to be universal luckily these day you can order some decent kits and odd ball tools pretty cheap from Taiwan and be set to start working on bikes easier.

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 16:50 Quote
For DJ hubs HOPE Pro4 trials/single speed seems a good option for the rear, lots of spares and a good warranty if you buy new. But should still be good second hand if you can get anyone to part with them.

Bearing are sealed units though and they're replaceable. You need a drift kit from HOPE if you need it done right though, but you can source the bearings from any bearing manufacturer or supplier and either save some money or get higher rated spec ones.

Just a thought though.

Posted: Jul 2, 2022 at 17:24 Quote
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234583363121?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Decent hub cheap price, less hassle than converting a Shimano qr.

Another one, just run spacers for singlespeed. Obviously a step down axle, 12/10mm.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265661971736?hash=item3ddaaffd18:g:Nz8AAOSwFMpiZtdd

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 15:23 Quote
[Quote="bikebike69"]

Very cool thanks this exactly the kinda stuff im interested in do you know other hub models that have the step down axle adapters.

I have heard about them a fair bit but dont really know much about it or where to start i might just grab that atomic and also im gonna click around looking for the step down axle kit for the sram.

The internet is so weird and sourcing parts in Canada can suck some times. When i log in in my Canadian ebay account neither of those hubs are available even with the atomic one being in Canada. Thanks for the links i still can probably figure something out with those 2.

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 15:36 Quote
[Quote="M0rd4c4i"]

Yeah ive heard all about them and done the reading on them that hub seems to be the best option and i might just end up getting one cause they seem so cool and i could probably keep it for a very long time.

But i am going for more of a learning journey of how to make wheels or find hubs on the lower end of the price range that should work fine. kinda having fun making dj affordable. I can and will eventually just have a high end complete coming my way but building up my old bike is fun with older and cheaper parts.

also learning for the future to buy old used stuff a build them back up for cheap i think that's fun to take cool old bikes and make em work well with cheaper odd ball parts then use em a bit maybe sell em to friends or anyone.

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 16:12 Quote
Does any one know about spokes ? I kinda know a little bit about them with different materials being stronger or weaker heavier or lighter and varying in materials and price. Once again im definitely attracted to the cheaper but strong but totally willing to go with higher priced options to for good quality cause i don't think spokes are that pricey in general.

I also kinda feel like spokes are less important as long as you have a decent hub and the rim being strong is more important in my head. Maybe i could just go with some generic cheaper spokes to lace to a strong DH rim. But being a first time wheel builder I don't know much about spokes and all of it in general.

I have been doing a fare amount of reading and clicking around the internet tho and feel fairly confident i could build a strong wheel for cheaper then buying complete as long as i build it myself and dont pay a pricey shop to build it for me. I also have a homie that might be able to help me out if i get stuck or make a mistake. Hes pretty decent at building bmx wheels.

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 16:25 Quote
[Quote="mikeylikebikey"]
bikebike69 wrote:

Very cool thanks this exactly the kinda stuff im interested in do you know other hub models that have the step down axle adapters.

I have heard about them a fair bit but dont really know much about it or where to start i might just grab that atomic and also im gonna click around looking for the step down axle kit for the sram.

The internet is so weird and sourcing parts in Canada can suck some times. When i log in in my Canadian ebay account neither of those hubs are available even with the atomic one being in Canada. Thanks for the links i still can probably figure something out with those 2.

As far as axle go, adapter axles are plentiful. Most any hub that’s 12mm thru compatible will work with this or similar. I’ve used dozens of these on builds.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264892305079?hash=item3daccfceb7:g:XVgAAOSwMQBff53o

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 16:39 Quote
@mikeylikebikey, still learning on spokes myself. But really they're probably the most important part of a wheel build that's overlooked by most, at they're used to tension the wheel and give it strength.

I do know for certain that rolled threads are better than tapped/cut ones, and stainless steel ones are worth it.

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 18:53 Quote
[Quote="bikebike69"

As far as axle go, adapter axles are plentiful. Most any hub that’s 12mm thru compatible will work with this or similar. I’ve used dozens of these on builds.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264892305079?hash=item3daccfceb7:g:XVgAAOSwMQBff53o[/Quote]

Nice! I have seen those but i was unsure if i should go all the way and buy a different size hub and a adapter i had never seen used before lol I was looking on youtube but didnt see much.

But now that you mentioned them and i learned a bit more about hubs over the last couple months I would be more comfortable trying one and that opens up alot more options for new and used parts. My rear wheel is usable but also is kinda on its last legs.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 10:31 Quote
M0rd4c4i wrote:
@mikeylikebikey, still learning on spokes myself. But really they're probably the most important part of a wheel build that's overlooked by most, at they're used to tension the wheel and give it strength.

I do know for certain that rolled threads are better than tapped/cut ones, and stainless steel ones are worth it.

Dang yeah I kinda got that feeling but havent really got the opportunity to talk with anyone about them and haven't dived that deep into any reading or content about spokes online.

What do you think about reusing old spokes ? I'm pretty sure my old wheel has some tough stainless steel ones on there. But also who knows if the size will even line up with the new hub I'm not even sure how many sizes are out there yet that's my next deep dive spokes.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 19:33 Quote
@mikeylikebikey, no worries I get you.

Seems everyone seems to have a preference when it comes to spokes, so there's not really a definitive answer to the question. That's if you can find anyone to ask in the first place.

All I just know as having a DH/freeride bike myself is that I'm wanting to know which ones are the strongest and most heavy duty ones on the market, and those sort would be perfect for DJ as well.

As for reusing spokes, I don't think it may be the best idea. But, if needs must.

I just wouldn't try anything too crazy with them, as don't want to taco a rim or worse.

But to get at least some ideas on spoke lengths available you can check out the saipim and halo websites.

And if you are lacing your own wheels, a tool for rolling threads may be an idea too.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 21:54 Quote
I don't have a ton of DJ experience (either building or riding), but I have built dozens of wheels professionally and personally, including one set for my own DJ. Since nobody else is offering advice on the spoke question, I guess I'll chime in:

Don't plan to reuse spokes. Not only will they probably be the wrong length (spokes are sold in increments of 1 mm so there are LOTS of different lengths out there), but even if they happen to be the correct length, it's much more challenging to build a true wheel with even tension if you're using used parts. Don't build your first wheels with used parts unless you're a masochist.

The spokes I use for my own wheels are DT Competition double butted, They're 2.0 mm at the head and at the thread, and 1.8 mm in the middle span. This provides a minor weight savings over straight gauge spokes, but more importantly the thinner middle means they're a little bit more elastic, which allows the wheel to flex a little more before something breaks or spokes start to come loose. Paradoxically, they make a stronger wheel because they're nominally weaker (a broken spoke almost always breaks at the head or at the nipple, so the weaker middle isn't a failure point). Double butted spokes do cost a bit more than straight gauge, but as a percentage of the cost of the whole wheel it's practically negligible. And if it saves you from having to do repairs in the future, the small price increase pays for itself.

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 0:49 Quote
[Quote="M0rd4c4i"]

Yeah that's cool eventually I'll just start talking with the shop guys again when the wheel parts start rolling in and I'm definitely gonna be buying some tools to help me build the wheel. I'm all about bike specific tools these days.

It does seem from everything I seen just get something that is DH or freeride capable and you are good to go so it stands to reason get some DH spokes haha seems easy enough everything strong as possible.

I'm exciting and nervous to build a wheel but its gonna be fun should happen before fall.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006043
Mobile Version of Website