What are some strong lower priced rims i can use as a dj rear wheel.

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
What are some strong lower priced rims i can use as a dj rear wheel.
| Next Page
Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 1:13 Quote
[Quote="barp"]

Very cool man thanks for the info I'll keep those spokes in mind and yeah using used spokes does sound crazy now that i think of it.

The plan is to use a new but old style sun ringle mtx rims they are supposed to be kinda tanks but I'm down and they are cheaper and wont break as far as I can tell.

Then new spokes I'll probably use the ones you said but I'll still be asking around and my mind could be changed but the ones you mentioned sound fine.

And potentially a used hub but maybe a new one I'm not sure I've seen a few usuable lower cost new ones I could use but I could just throw the whole lower cost thing out the window and go for one of the new cool hubs cause I've read so much about them and they all sound amazing hope, spank, i9, DT swiss very cool new tech.

What do you think about used hubs? I know the spoke holes tend to get broken in or indented on used hubs but I never heard anything about used hubs being an issue they re sell them alot.

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 7:15 Quote
[Quote="mikeylikebikey"]
M0rd4c4i wrote:

Yeah that's cool eventually I'll just start talking with the shop guys again when the wheel parts start rolling in and I'm definitely gonna be buying some tools to help me build the wheel. I'm all about bike specific tools these days.

It does seem from everything I seen just get something that is DH or freeride capable and you are good to go so it stands to reason get some DH spokes haha seems easy enough everything strong as possible.

I'm exciting and nervous to build a wheel but its gonna be fun should happen before fall.

Building is the easy part, getting it centred and true is more awkward.

But you can always throw it at a local bike shop if needs be.

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 7:16 Quote
[Quote="mikeylikebikey"]
barp wrote:

Very cool man thanks for the info I'll keep those spokes in mind and yeah using used spokes does sound crazy now that i think of it.

The plan is to use a new but old style sun ringle mtx rims they are supposed to be kinda tanks but I'm down and they are cheaper and wont break as far as I can tell.

Then new spokes I'll probably use the ones you said but I'll still be asking around and my mind could be changed but the ones you mentioned sound fine.

And potentially a used hub but maybe a new one I'm not sure I've seen a few usuable lower cost new ones I could use but I could just throw the whole lower cost thing out the window and go for one of the new cool hubs cause I've read so much about them and they all sound amazing hope, spank, i9, DT swiss very cool new tech.

What do you think about used hubs? I know the spoke holes tend to get broken in or indented on used hubs but I never heard anything about used hubs being an issue they re sell them alot.

Used hubs aren't necessarily a bad thing at all, a bit of rubbing and minor installation damage is perfectly fine.

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 8:40 Quote
Yeah, used hubs are usually not a problem with building wheels. It's used rims, nipples, and spokes that can make your life more difficult.

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 9:50 Quote
The only issues you may come across on a good used hub are bearings may need replacing, and possibly the freehub on the rear if they're aluminium.

As aluminium freehubs and steel gears/cassettes don't exactly mix well together. So the freehub becomes damaged over time and the cassette assembly then goes out of alignment causing gear changing to go weird.

But with single speed it's not an issue.

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 10:19 Quote
No issue reusing spokes. Especially as spokes are pretty expensive. What you might find though is the nipples are seized, especially if they are not made of brass.
I suggest finding an old wheel to take apart and rebuild before starting on your first proper wheel.

Ali Clarkson has a pretty good build video on YouTube.
Double butted are best - but it's not the flexing it's the reduced stress on the bend at the head of the spoke (where it goes into the hub), so in theory it's less likely to snap. 2.0 - 1.8 mm - 2.0 is the normal choice.

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 10:23 Quote
I'm going to finish a wheel build tonight. DT Swiss 533d rim on a Hope Pro 4 trials hub.

I've never used DT rims before but a lot of people on STW forum said they were good for dirt.
I wasn't very impressed with the build quality of the rims - like they haven't drilled the holes in a straight line (at first I thought it was asymmetric, but no it's just poor drilling). However the front wheel has been fine and it was very easy to build.
Will reserve judgement until my first major off.

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 17:40 Quote
M0rd4c4i wrote:

Building is the easy part, getting it centred and true is more awkward.

But you can always throw it at a local bike shop if needs be.

Yeah I kinda feel that way too it will be fun to try and if it gets to be too much I can get them to center and tru it and it's all the fun of learning how to build wheels investing money into learning fun and useful skills.

I just wish I did this at a time I had more money and shipping was better hahaha.

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 17:47 Quote
barp wrote:
Yeah, used hubs are usually not a problem with building wheels. It's used rims, nipples, and spokes that can make your life more difficult.

Is there anything to look for in used rims ?

I've sourced some new rims that are strong for cheap. But this guy close to my area has a similar used good pair for like 25 bucks haha strong enough for dj and soo cheap.

I think he just took the hubs off for a lighter pair of rims nothing wrong with them but I havent inspected used rims before.

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 18:02 Quote
Woodlikesbikes wrote:
I'm going to finish a wheel build tonight. DT Swiss 533d rim on a Hope Pro 4 trials hub.

I've never used DT rims before but a lot of people on STW forum said they were good for dirt.
I wasn't very impressed with the build quality of the rims - like they haven't drilled the holes in a straight line (at first I thought it was asymmetric, but no it's just poor drilling). However the front wheel has been fine and it was very easy to build.
Will reserve judgement until my first major off.

Very cool I'm jelly you get to build a sweet set up with a hope pro 4 trails hub. Also great idea about taking apart an old wheel and rebuilding it maybe I will do that with some old bmx wheels I got or maybe rebuild my current dj rear wheel that's basically toast now anyway.

There is a pretty cheap loose ball halo DH wheel I found I could convert to solid axle pretty easy. I think anyway maybe I'll message the shop selling it see if i can just buy that use it for dj then rebuild what ever old wheels I got laying around.

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 19:50 Quote
mikeylikebikey wrote:
barp wrote:

Is there anything to look for in used rims ?

I've sourced some new rims that are strong for cheap. But this guy close to my area has a similar used good pair for like 25 bucks haha strong enough for dj and soo cheap.

I think he just took the hubs off for a lighter pair of rims nothing wrong with them but I havent inspected used rims before.

If you can find a large, very flat surface (like a thick pane of glass, stone countertop, or mirror) to lay the rims on, that's a good start because it will become obvious if they're laterally bent. To check for radial deformities, measure the diameter at several locations and make sure they're all within 1 mm. Lastly, just inspect for any damage--dings in the outer edge, cracks around the nipple holes, or anything else that looks wrong.

Posted: Jul 16, 2022 at 12:40 Quote
I’m currently running DT Swiss 533d rims front and rear. Only been built up for like 2 months so far but I’m yet to have any issues with them and I’ve been quite hard on them in that time. They’re relatively cheap too.

Posted: Jul 16, 2022 at 14:16 Quote
mk3lew wrote:
I’m currently running DT Swiss 533d rims front and rear. Only been built up for like 2 months so far but I’m yet to have any issues with them and I’ve been quite hard on them in that time. They’re relatively cheap too.

Very cool i will take a look at those.

Posted: Jul 16, 2022 at 16:46 Quote
mk3lew wrote:

As a bonus, when you read the label upside-down, they say "PEES"

Posted: Jul 17, 2022 at 23:29 Quote
barp wrote:
mk3lew wrote:

As a bonus, when you read the label upside-down, they say "PEES"

It’s a good thing I took the stickers off mine, I’d never noticed that!

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.030668
Mobile Version of Website