Need help for wheelset

PB Forum :: 29ers
Need help for wheelset
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 2:13 Quote
My son has a 2021 Orange Clockwork Hardtail Mountain Bike 29" front trye says 2.5 back 2.4, he needs a new wheelset due to a crash, im planning on getting them as a gift but didnt realise how hard this is to get the exact sizing and correct ones that fit, can anyone help me out here? After some research i think the ones that came on the bike where WTB ST i30 on Strange 29 i think anyway looking at the website we brought it from, Looking to get mid-high/highest quality available in the right size, any links or any info where to get them doesnt have to be the same brand.
Any help? I can do my best to answer any questions needed to help, cheers guys

Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 2:45 Quote
Hmm, depending upon where you're based HOPE hoops wheelsets may be of interest.

That's the HOPE PRO4 hubs, Saipim spokes and HOPE Fortus rims.

Rim size can be whatever feels comfortable really, some go for narrow and some go for wide.

The only really important thing is the axle size, which you can easily find by going through tech specs or measuring the distance between the inside faces of the forks and rear wheel dropouts on frame.

Posted: Jul 1, 2022 at 2:57 Quote
Thanks for the reply, even if its abit to complex for me to understand what you mean,
Im not building anything so thats a no go i dont even understand most of the reply, i dont bike i just want to click buy and get it ready to stick on the bike thats it is that even possible

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 9:55 Quote
@MykeB89 HOPE Hoops are the whole package, so complete wheels that you can use minus the cassette/gears is all.

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 10:16 Quote
MykeB89 wrote:
My son has a 2021 Orange Clockwork Hardtail Mountain Bike 29" front trye says 2.5 back 2.4, he needs a new wheelset due to a crash, im planning on getting them as a gift but didnt realise how hard this is to get the exact sizing and correct ones that fit, can anyone help me out here? After some research i think the ones that came on the bike where WTB ST i30 on Strange 29 i think anyway looking at the website we brought it from, Looking to get mid-high/highest quality available in the right size, any links or any info where to get them doesnt have to be the same brand.
Any help? I can do my best to answer any questions needed to help, cheers guys

You have to regard the wheels and the tires separately. The "2.5" and "2.4" you mentioned are the tire width and are completely different from the wheels. The wheels (or wheelsets) consist of the rims, spokes and hubs. The tires get mounted to the wheels and all of this comes in great variety.

What is actually broken that you want to replace? If it's the tires then find some nice 29" tires (that's the diameter you mentioned) in the 2.5 and 2.4 width variety.

If the tires are fine, but your son's wheels are damaged and you don't want to build a wheelset and you don't understand the dimensions that are involved (axle dimensions, rim widths, etc) or the various brands and qualities that are available and just want to click buy and be done then I suggest going to a bike shop or begin your education by reading some of the threads here and watching some YouTube videos to get familiar.

Good luck.

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 10:37 Quote
Trying to add a little to help you out.

Looking at what I think is your bike online...
You need 29 inch rims. Those should be assembled with boost hubs front and rear. Boost here means that the front hub is 110mm x 15mm and the rear is 148mm x 12mm. The rear hub will have to mate to your cassette (that part that has all the gears and the chain goes around and it only spins in one direction). To make your cassette work with a new hub then I believe you'll need a Micro spline driver on the hub.

Now, you are equipped to find a set of wheels that you can plug into Google and begin shopping: 29 inch wheels, boost hubs, Micro Spline driver on the rear. The only real variable we haven't touched is the rim width and I think you're looking for 27mm. So there you go.

Folks have already mentioned HOPE as a good source. Maybe start your clicking and buying there.

Good luck.

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 10:44 Quote
I forgot one last thing you need to look at: brake rotors. You'll need hubs that match your current rotor configuration. These could be fastened to the hubs 1 of 2 different ways. Most common is the 6 bolt rotor (you'll see 6 little bolts holding the brake rotor to the hubs). The other method is centerlock rotors and you won't see any little bolts. Get wheels that match your rotors so you can move your rotors over to the new wheels.

If this is too much then go to a bike shop for assistance.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005934
Mobile Version of Website