E13 - whats wrong with your bearing-situation?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
E13 - whats wrong with your bearing-situation?
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 13:19 Quote
Hi guys,

I just wanted to get my DH-bike up and running for my trip next week. I washed my bike and did a lower-service on my Boxxer and after I reinstalled my front wheel I heard a super weird creaking noise while aligning the brake-caliper. I first thought, that my disc is just rubbing against the brake-pads but then I realigned and the noise still showed up.
So I removed the brake-caliper and spinned the wheel and again...a super weird noise and a "rough" feeling when turning the wheel.
Long story short: one of the bearings inside of the front-hub apparently moved into heaven and this is the second time, that a bearing from a E13-product broke. I really don't wash my bikes really often exactly because of this and I never used a pressure-cleaner.
The first bearing of the bottom-bracket broke after basically one or two washings and this now after not a handful washings.

Are the bearings that E13 is using so unbelievable bad? Or is the sealing not properly working? I really don't want to change some of my bearings after every washing.

Some of you guys have the same problems?

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 13:53 Quote
Boogeyman1301 wrote:
Hi guys,

I just wanted to get my DH-bike up and running for my trip next week. I washed my bike and did a lower-service on my Boxxer and after I reinstalled my front wheel I heard a super weird creaking noise while aligning the brake-caliper. I first thought, that my disc is just rubbing against the brake-pads but then I realigned and the noise still showed up.
So I removed the brake-caliper and spinned the wheel and again...a super weird noise and a "rough" feeling when turning the wheel.
Long story short: one of the bearings inside of the front-hub apparently moved into heaven and this is the second time, that a bearing from a E13-product broke. I really don't wash my bikes really often exactly because of this and I never used a pressure-cleaner.
The first bearing of the bottom-bracket broke after basically one or two washings and this now after not a handful washings.

Are the bearings that E13 is using so unbelievable bad? Or is the sealing not properly working? I really don't want to change some of my bearings after every washing.

Some of you guys have the same problems?

They are known to use crappy cheap bearings. Any part they make with bearings goes to crap pretty quick.

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 14:45 Quote
A little water intrusion and all sorts of bad things happen. It's not necessarily the cheap bearings it's the lack of waterproof grease. Any bearing fully packed with waterproof grease is going to last longer than one without.

I've got $1, bearings in my rear hub I repacked both sides prior to install... Still going strong after a season. Keep em clean and topped off with fresh grease and they'll last. Assume that seals actually seal well and you'll be back in the same situation.

This goes for any bearings on the bike. Keep em clean and packed with grease and they won't ingest water, corrode and fail.

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 15:23 Quote
eshew wrote:
A little water intrusion and all sorts of bad things happen. It's not necessarily the cheap bearings it's the lack of waterproof grease. Any bearing fully packed with waterproof grease is going to last longer than one without.

I've got $1, bearings in my rear hub I repacked both sides prior to install... Still going strong after a season. Keep em clean and topped off with fresh grease and they'll last. Assume that seals actually seal well and you'll be back in the same situation.

This goes for any bearings on the bike. Keep em clean and packed with grease and they won't ingest water, corrode and fail.

This is very true, though I feel that a good quality bearing should come packed well, and shouldn’t need re doing.

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 19:25 Quote
In a perfect world, I totally agree. But just about all sealed bearings are built for high speed machines, they just happen to work on bikes. So most of the bearings will have a light high speed grease which is not great for wet and muddy conditions.

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 19:52 Quote
eshew wrote:
In a perfect world, I totally agree. But just about all sealed bearings are built for high speed machines, they just happen to work on bikes. So most of the bearings will have a light high speed grease which is not great for wet and muddy conditions.

Very true, also does vary by batch of bearing in terms of quality of packing of the grease. At the shop I’ve pulled several cane creek 40 series bearings that are just poorly packed and feel terrible, then some that are great. Really sucks in quality control.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 0:08 Quote
And a good quality-control is so hard to achieve? Big Grin I mean E13 demands round about 15€ per bearing? They should be top-notch and not that crappy, that they only last until the first wash.
But nevermind, I orderered new bearings and wrote a message to E13. Maybe they are fair and provide me some bearings which I than have on stock if something happens again.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 6:58 Quote
Boogeyman1301 wrote:
And a good quality-control is so hard to achieve? Big Grin I mean E13 demands round about 15€ per bearing? They should be top-notch and not that crappy, that they only last until the first wash.
But nevermind, I orderered new bearings and wrote a message to E13. Maybe they are fair and provide me some bearings which I than have on stock if something happens again.

Yea it’s always sucked cause they’re stuff is pretty pricey especially for the quality you get

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 8:08 Quote
Don't give your money to E13 for replacement bearings, source your own from a bearing manufacturer/supplier.

You can get exactly what you want or need then, perhaps at an even better cost depending upon how high a spec you want.

All you need to know is the dimensions.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 11:28 Quote
Yes, I already ordered good quality bearings, which still costs less than one of the replacement-bearings from E13.
Maybe on some day I should change the bearings of my rear hub as well because they are the last E13-bearings in my bike and not sure how long they will last. I guess until the next wash.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 12:43 Quote
Save em before it's too late!

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 21:29 Quote
@boogeyman1301, I've noticed that bearings are something that component manufacturers seriously overprice.

And they themselves get them from bearing manufacturers and suppliers.


But I don't think you can go too wrong though with decent stainless steel ABEC standard bearings, especially if they're packed with marine grease.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006736
Mobile Version of Website