Drivetrains for ebikes need serious improvement

PB Forum :: eMTB
Drivetrains for ebikes need serious improvement
| Next Page
Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 14:39 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
What chain lune are you using? What is your clean and lube procedure?

I use muc off dry lube. I clean my drivetrain after every ride and relube the chain.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 15:05 Quote
carters75 wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

I use muc off dry lube. I clean my drivetrain after every ride and relube the chain.
How are you cleaning?

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 19:04 Quote
Mucoff ceramic dry lube for me as well. With the bike on a work stand, I start by rinsing the drivetrain, then I spin/scrub with a brush soaked with degreaser (spray nine works, but I find that the castrol degreaser avaible at crappy tire leaves less soap scum). I rince and repeat one more time before blow drying with a small leaf blower. I typically wait a few hours to make sure that the chain is completely dry before applying lube.

Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 12:07 Quote
I got 1500 miles out of the stock Shimano SLX chain and cassette on my 2019 Decoy. The chain wasn't showing 0.5% wear but was dropping in the highest gear.

So I say the opposite - I am impressed by the longevity of my drivetrain.

Lube is Dumonde Tech Light. Chain is re-lubed every 3-4 rides (about 50 miles) after cleaning with a Park Tool chain scrubber. I usually use Trail mode, sometimes Boost, very rarely Eco. Local climbs are 10-15% grade with some 20% sections so I have to put a fair amount of my own power down along with the motor. Conditions are dry and dusty with infrequent wet days. I am 160 lbs and have a lot of room to improve the timing of my shifts.

Maybe durability is significantly worse for 12 speed components? I've yet to have a SRAM NX or GX 12 speed chain last more than 500 miles before showing 0.5% wear, all on non eMTB's. The Shimano on my Decoy is 11 speed.

Posted: Aug 27, 2022 at 13:42 Quote
Clean your chain after each ride and lube then wipe up excess . Invest in a chain wear tool as well ... I personally change my chain every 500 km and have managed to get 1500 out of most cassettes... steel cassettes are the way to go my 2 cents .

O+
Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 17:52 Quote
We've found wax is a better solution for longevity. 11 bikes all switched and we're getting 600-800km per chain now.

Posted: Sep 1, 2022 at 3:08 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
for cleaning: kerosene/lamp oil
for lube: muc off dry lube (in summer) and wet lube (in winter)

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006135
Mobile Version of Website