Specialized Evo Expert v New Hightower v3

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Specialized Evo Expert v New Hightower v3
O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 13:04 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
MikeG613 wrote:
The Pivot 429 rides like a big travel bike.- the Hightower doesn’t have that claim .

The DW link > all .

The Ripley AF rides better than the HT v2; it’s better up and descending is incredible..

I’m not a fan of specialized but the Evo is sensational- quiet , light , fast and adjustable.

Spectacular rig .

I spent a whole day riding Pivot demo bikes last year. The 429 rides like an XC bike lol 120mm rear travel and a fox 34. You are delusional if you think that bike feels like a big travel bike.

Sounds like you are just pulling bs out of your ass becasue you hate SC for some reason.

The switch blade is close to the hightower. Have you seen what they cost..... almost 7k for a GX bike no factory suspension. Same as santa cruz.

Right? We’re all frustrated with bike price creep, but to pretend that SC is the only one. Then compare Last gen hightowers to current gen aluminum Ibis’ as an apples to apples value proposition is silly.

Might as well all be riding Giants if value is our number one concern.

Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 13:19 Quote
The evo expert is only a few hundred dollars cheaper than a comparable HighTower
Plus SC has crazy good resale value. It's one of the best

Guy acts like its 4k more lol.

Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 13:26 Quote
To me the OP is trying to justify his purchase in some odd way.

Says the hightower is an option for him but then continues to bash it....makes no sense

Your gonna be pissed then you take the EVO to a bike park lol.

Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 19:23 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
The evo expert is only a few hundred dollars cheaper than a comparable HighTower

Xo1 vs gx
Fox all
No lyric / rockshox

Posted: Aug 5, 2022 at 6:41 Quote
MikeG613 wrote:
fourfourone wrote:

Xo1 vs gx
Fox all
No lyric / rockshox

Only the shifter and rear mech is XO1. not really a big upgrade.

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 13:06 Quote
Same. I have a V3 Bronson and for just 160/150, it is a monster. I know if I break it I get a new one, which is reassuring.
I am a fan of the quality and designs they put out. .

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 14:13 Quote
MikeG613 wrote:
The Pivot 429 rides like a big travel bike.- the Hightower doesn’t have that claim .

The DW link > all .

The Ripley AF rides better than the HT v2; it’s better up and descending is incredible..

I’m not a fan of specialized but the Evo is sensational- quiet , light , fast and adjustable.

Spectacular rig .

Wait, you need an XXL but you have 1st hand experience on a Pivot (anything)? NONE of their bikes are big enough for you, so GTFO with this. Also, the same applies to the Ripley. You have actual trail experience on this bike?

DW link is not > all. If it was, then why don't you see more DW link bikes dominating the EWS or the UCI world cup races? I looked, and the top 10 finishers in all categories were on a multitude of different bikes/linkages. Perhaps the linkage isn't the only thing that matters...

BTW, I'm 6'8" and have owned a 2021 Evo (carbon) S6 for 18 months. It's a good "do it all" bike that likes to play in the rough stuff. But my friends on true enduro machines just walk me on the truly fast and rough downhill stuff and I can just see that their bikes float over stuff that my bike gets eaten up by. My hands are off the brakes and they still gain on me like it's not even funny. Also, it weighs 33lbs - not exactly a featherweight.

Opinions are best formed by riding and working on bikes, not by reading and watching PB reviews. Just go buy a bike and tell us what you think.

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 14:53 Quote
Pdrenth wrote:
MikeG613 wrote:

The DW link > all .

Spectacular rig .

Wait, you need an XXL but you have 1st hand experience on a Pivot (anything)? NONE of their bikes are big enough for you, so GTFO with this. Also, the same applies to the Ripley. You have actual trail experience on this bike?

DW link is not > all. If it was, then why don't you see more DW link bikes dominating the EWS or the UCI world cup races? I looked, and the top 10 finishers in all categories were on a multitude of different bikes/linkages. Perhaps the linkage isn't the only thing that matters...

BTW, I'm 6'8" and have owned a 2021 Evo (carbon) S6 for 18 months. It's a good "do it all" bike that likes to play in the rough stuff. But my friends on true enduro machines just walk me on the truly fast and rough downhill stuff and I can just see that their bikes float over stuff that my bike gets eaten up by. My hands are off the brakes and they still gain on me like it's not even funny. Also, it weighs 33lbs - not exactly a featherweight.

Opinions are best formed by riding and working on bikes, not by reading and watching PB reviews. Just go buy a bike and tell us what you think.
DW link > all by a mile , it’s pedaling genius that sits high in the travel and no pedal strikes .

The 429 run tight and I sold it .

The Ripley xl is pretty slack and runs a 500 reach .

@ 6 8 you are phucked no bikes fit properly.

The s6 STEVO 22 comes better spec’d for the $$ v the SCHT - it’s not up for discussion- unless you’re a retard .

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 16:09 Quote
MikeG613 wrote:
Pdrenth wrote:
MikeG613 wrote:

The DW link > all .

Spectacular rig .

DW link > all by a mile , it’s pedaling genius that sits high in the travel and no pedal strikes .

The s6 STEVO 22 comes better spec’d for the $$ v the SCHT - it’s not up for discussion- unless you’re a retard .

Dude. Re-read your comments. Insufferable. You’re probably doing more harm to Ibis reputation in this thread.

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 17:43 Quote
I am curious which dw link is superior. Isn't there a few iterations? Personally, not for me. Had someone I rode with for a little that went on and on and DW Link, and yet he would find something he did not like about each one and sell it. I heard enough for a lifetime. LOL

And, seems like his designs took a lot from SC's VPP, so not exactly original.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 5:06 Quote
MikeG613 wrote:
Pdrenth wrote:
MikeG613 wrote:

The DW link > all .

Spectacular rig .

You're attributing pedal strikes to linkage design?.......not bb drop/crank arm length/bike set up/bike type/rider skill level?

Bold strategy

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 8:26 Quote
Pretty much all bike companies these days make good suspension designs. Sure, there are some differences based on personal preferences, and maybe these differences support different riding styles over others, but it ultimately is idiosyncratic (if I may be yet another middle aged pinkbiker on this forum trying to pass off his opinions as facts hahaha).

Any skilled rider can adapt to any modern linkage system and make it work for them, especially when you factor in rider specific suspension tune... my gosh you can even buy custom aftermarket linkages these days. At the end of the day it is a question of rider skill and much less a design issue.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 7:49 Quote
MikeG613 wrote:
Pdrenth wrote:
MikeG613 wrote:

The DW link > all .

Spectacular rig .

I'm gonna need some objective sources with more words than a fortune cookie to back up the claim that the DW link is the end-all be-all.

Also, disprove me with actual results. Let's start with any UCI race that uses full suspension. Prove it or shut it.

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 8:07 Quote
Pdrenth wrote:
MikeG613 wrote:
Pdrenth wrote:

I'm gonna need some objective sources with more words than a fortune cookie to back up the claim that the DW link is the end-all be-all.

Also, disprove me with actual results. Let's start with any UCI race that uses full suspension. Prove it or shut it.

Dave Weigle himself doesn’t even think the DW is the end all/ be all.

Sad thing is the poster isn’t some shit talking kid. His profile says he’s 52.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 11:23 Quote
Starsky686 wrote:

Dave Weigle himself doesn’t even think the DW is the end all/ be all.

Sad thing is the poster isn’t some shit talking kid. His profile says he’s 52.

This is one of the more hilarious threads and lines of reasoning I've read in a long time. Reminds me of Brandolini's law, also known as the bullsh*t asymmetry principle. This is the simple observation that it’s far easier to produce and spread BS, misinformation and nonsense than it is to refute it."The amount of energy needed to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than to produce it.""

I mean, the number of words expended to refute this type of trolling BS exceeds his words by about 1,000:1.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008546
Mobile Version of Website