What are you doing to prolong bearing life?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
What are you doing to prolong bearing life?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 11:08 Quote
Really getting frustrated with how often I'm having to do my wheel bearings. Most recent rear hub (I9 1/1) is developing play after only 10 months of riding. I ride year round in all weather, hose to clean only, no pressure washing, and regularly remove endcaps and freehub for cleaning and relube (but haven't been taking the bearing seals off).

What are you all doing to prolong bearing life? Looks like these are options:

- More thorough cleaning regimen that includes prying off the seals regularly and regreasing

- Upgrading bearings (I9 uses Enduro bearings, looking at NTN and SKF)

- Overfilling bearings with grease, my understanding is that they only come ~1/3 packed to reduce drag

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 14:16 Quote
I remove rubber seals repack my bearings with Mobil XHP 222 grease, it has a high wash out which
helps in boggin Scots weather,

https://www.micksgarage.com/d/grease/products/3503085/mobil-grease-xhp-222-390g-cartridge

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 21:38 Quote
Same as above always pop seals and pack with more grease to fill any voids so water has nowhere to get in and sit

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 23:43 Quote
Seals off and pack with decent grease.
Don't wash your bike unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. I reckon 90% of bike mechanicals are from over washing of bikes

Wait for mud to dry, knock it off with a brush, sponge and bucket to wash. Guarantee your bearings will last 10 times as long

Posted: Jul 30, 2022 at 3:17 Quote
Carefully prise a seal out with a watchmakers screwdriver and see what the grease is like. If its clean just add a bit of grease and refit seal. If grease is dirty the bearing needs washing out and repacking with fresh grease.

Posted: Jul 30, 2022 at 6:25 Quote
put on a mud guard on the rear to help shield all of the bearings from mud.

Posted: Jul 30, 2022 at 7:59 Quote
As mentioned, try to wash my bike as little as possible. Been lazy on wheel bearing maintenance. Just about to replace all my original (Pro 4) rear hub, freehub bearings after nearly three years of use. I decided on Blue Seal 'bike specific' brand this time, max filled with that same Mobil marine grease, decent quality stainless steel bearings with labyrinth seals. Will see how they compare.

Posted: Aug 1, 2022 at 17:51 Quote
I hear marine grease is good shiiiiiate

Try not to preload bearings too much after cleaning, regreasing and thenfitting as causes premature wear.

Posted: Aug 6, 2022 at 10:53 Quote
Crooked rear end or distorted dropouts can eat through bearings, check your rear end for alignment issues as well.

Posted: Aug 6, 2022 at 11:21 Quote
the day i changed from soaking my bike with a hose to moving to a low pressure pressure washer my bike has loved me.

Sometimes, where the bearing sits etc can influence the bearing life the most, Brands that dont get their bearing seats good or if they dont use crush spacers etc will cause less life from bearings.

I went through 3 sets of middle frame bearings on an alloy slash, Crush spacer wasnt long enough and poor machining for the seat of lower shock bearings causes bad bearing life and also many have broken those bolts...

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 7:37 Quote
I have seen lots of general maintenance clips recently where they coat the outside surface of cartridge bearings with grease. I wondered if this is done by most and the norm?

I'm not so sure and haven't done this myself so far but is it a good idea, as in does it keep moisture out for longer or would it attract more grime in the long term?

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 12:06 Quote
Grease under the seals & over the seals.

Bearings die when they get water inside, packing grease means no space inside (but some will work itself out) grease on the outside is just another barrier.

Stay away from using white lithium grease, that stuff packs out & dries out.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 22:01 Quote
eshew wrote:
Grease under the seals & over the seals.

Bearings die when they get water inside, packing grease means no space inside (but some will work itself out) grease on the outside is just another barrier.

Stay away from using white lithium grease, that stuff packs out & dries out.

Thanks @eshew. Yes, makes sense to pack out under the seals which I do normally. Just seeing grease smeared on the outside made me wonder whether to start doing that too.

Recently ordered some of the Mobil marine grease so I'll use that. tup

Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 9:52 Quote
CaMKii wrote:
Really getting frustrated with how often I'm having to do my wheel bearings. Most recent rear hub (I9 1/1) is developing play after only 10 months of riding. I ride year round in all weather, hose to clean only, no pressure washing, and regularly remove endcaps and freehub for cleaning and relube (but haven't been taking the bearing seals off).

What are you all doing to prolong bearing life? Looks like these are options:

- More thorough cleaning regimen that includes prying off the seals regularly and regreasing

- Upgrading bearings (I9 uses Enduro bearings, looking at NTN and SKF)

- Overfilling bearings with grease, my understanding is that they only come ~1/3 packed to reduce drag

My SC Tallboy 3 has a zerk fitting on the lower suspension pivot /linkage. Push through grease with a grease gun until it comes out clean. Upper one doesn't have the fitting, but it's in a much cleaner location (inside / upper triangle). Other SC do as well.

Unlikely the case, but just in case you had a linkage w/ the little silver fitting and didn't know what it was.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006943
Mobile Version of Website