Nomad for 120lbs rider

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Nomad for 120lbs rider
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 7:00 Quote
My GF rode a Cube Sting WS 140 HPC: 150/140mm, basic components, nothing fancy. She rode blue/red alpine trails, more flowy than chunky. She wanted to progress into jumps/more rough terrain, but she was constantly complaining about her Cube. Finally I talked her into trying a Megatower which was her dream bike. We rented one - she loved it. Then I suggested trying a Nomad - making a long story short - she just bought an S-kit in green 2021.

Now: she weighs 115-120lbs fully geared. I'm expecting to see some problems with suspension setup. S-kit has 38 Performance and minimum weight is 120lbs with suggested pressure of 72 PSI. Shock is RockShox Super Deluxe Select+.

Q1. Does anyone have any experience with setting up a suspension for such a lightweight rider?
Q2. Did someone do tuning of this fork for lightweight riders?
Q3. Maybe it makes sense to sell this fork and buy something more suitable for tuning? 38 Performance elite? Zeb 2023? Maybe even go down one notch: 36 / Lyrik? Rockshox suggested pressure starts from 100lbs, so theoretically there is a bit of margin…
Q4. Maybe some vorsprung magic would help like they suggest here: https://www.vorsprungsuspension.com/blogs/learn/lightweight-riders-fork-performance

Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 9:43 Quote
Those tables on the fork are just provided as a starting point.

I would start by ensuring there are no tokens in the fork or shock and then set up the sag correctly.

I'm not aware of being able to get the fork damper returned, but you can 100% get shocks with different tunes.

It might be worth having a read of https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gear/suspension-settings-for-lightweight-riders/

Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 0:18 Quote
Yeah I know, that's only a starting point. But I'm more concerned about practical limits of the damper adjustments. I read that fox is most likely tunable, but I'm sure Zeb definitely is. Rockshox even post a tuning guide, how to stack up shims.

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2022 at 13:51 Quote
Hey! I can probably chime in here. I'm 130 pounds myself on a medium sized Nomad V5 S-kit. No issues setting up my Fox 38 Performance or the SuperDeluxe. For reference I ran between 75-80 psi in the fork and 120-125 psi in the shock.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Posted: Aug 6, 2022 at 5:36 Quote
Good to hear that.

I was hoping to test new Nomad this weekend, but, as usual, delivery guy said I was not at home (I work from home pretty much 100% ... Smile ). As soon as I get my hands on it, I'll post something about setting this bike up.

Posted: Aug 13, 2022 at 9:53 Quote
Do you have a shock pump? Just start at the recommended setting on the santa cruz website (they have a table for setting up fork and shock on their website specifically for the nomad). Go from there, let her ride it and adjust as needed.

Hopefully the link works:

https://santacruzbikesstatic.cdn.prismic.io/santacruzbikesstatic/6bd49e3c-462d-4230-b575-1533a1be1515_suspension_setup_nomad_5.pdf

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 1:47 Quote
Hey, quick update. We started from a recommended settings, but they were way off. We focused on fork first using shockwiz and now we settled on 50-52 psi with compression 2 clicks away from fully open and rebound 11 clicks from from fully closed. I got a feedback, that fork "feels nice". I can live with that. Smile With such a low pressure I think it does make sense to either use low friction dust wipers or at least regrease it properly. Leaving bike upside down over night is also an option. Any form of help in reducing an internal friction is a good idea anyway.

However, per shockwiz suggestion, I want to experiment with adding volume spacer and reduce the pressure by another 3-5 psi. On the next trip I'll rent a shockwiz again, and work on the shock.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006946
Mobile Version of Website