Tallboy

Previous Page |
Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 17:10 Quote
Would any of you tallboy owners/riders out there like to give me your thoughts on the bike? Thanks!

O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 12:23 Quote
It's the perfect short travel trail bike. Wouldn't change anything.

Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 9:58 Quote
jmcmullan102970 wrote:
Would any of you tallboy owners/riders out there like to give me your thoughts on the bike? Thanks!
Tallboy 3 or 4?

I have a TB3 that's been awesome for where I live (middle of NC). Good enough to take to the mountains of NC. A bit heavy for XC racing, but plenty comfy for long hauls. My Blur 4 is much faster, but much less plush.

I don't have any time on a TB4 and didn't look at one when getting a replacement for my TB3... the trail blur is what I wanted (lighter, faster), and the TB4 is a bit heavier / more plush than the TB3. Great bike, just wrong direction for me.

Posted: Aug 25, 2022 at 5:26 Quote
Stickey1048 wrote:
jmcmullan102970 wrote:
Tallboy 3 or 4?

I have a TB3 that's been awesome for where I live (middle of NC). Good enough to take to the mountains of NC. A bit heavy for XC racing, but plenty comfy for long hauls. My Blur 4 is much faster, but much less plush.

I don't have any time on a TB4 and didn't look at one when getting a replacement for my TB3... the trail blur is what I wanted (lighter, faster), and the TB4 is a bit heavier / more plush than the TB3. Great bike, just wrong direction for me.

Interesting. I find my new Blur to be much more plush than my TB3, and really better at everything.

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 5:52 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Stickey1048 wrote:
jmcmullan102970 wrote:
Tallboy 3 or 4?

Interesting. I find my new Blur to be much more plush than my TB3, and really better at everything.

Mine is the 100/100 version (for now). Will likely push it to 120/115 with a new front shock and removing the travel spacer from the sidluxe when it gets the first maintenance interval. Not sure which one you're running.

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 9:37 Quote
Ah, gotcha. I am sure that would affect it. : ) 130/115 is even better. : D

Mine is a TR, with Fox shock and Factory 34 set to 130mm.

Posted: Sep 1, 2022 at 13:12 Quote
There is a new Tallboy getting ready to hit in a couple weeks or so!

O+
Posted: Sep 3, 2022 at 8:40 Quote
The Tallboy is by far my favorite, 3rd season on a Carbon TB4 and not looking for a different bike. Obviously depends on your riding, I'm a 45 year old finesse rider who stays grounded on a handful of 15 mile rides a week in the northeast.
Just want to point out the lower BB height as it took some time to get used to and avoid a few pedal strikes per ride, ended up upgrading the rear hub for more P.O.E.s and solved the problem. You simply need to ratchet when climbing some terrain and keep your pedals level on the decent, or outside pedal down around corners. The plus to this is a lower center of gravity, I really like the feel compared to higher pivot suspensions. Definitely better climbers out there, but the downhills are something to look forward to....

As mentioned before, a Plush short travel 29er.

Posted: Sep 3, 2022 at 10:28 Quote
I have thought about building a little brusier TB with a Cascade link and a Fox 36 shortened to 140mm. Enjoying my HT, but the TB continues to call my name. My 18 was one of my favs.

O+
Posted: Sep 18, 2022 at 7:04 Quote
That’s what I did for my T4. Have a fox 36 and changed it to 140. I love the riding style, hoping they don’t make the new tallboy a mullet. I’ve finally accepted that the newer bikes are not that much better than what I have. I’m looking to hold onto this one until it break to get that lifetime warranty.

Posted: Sep 18, 2022 at 10:17 Quote
Dylpickel wrote:
hoping they don’t make the new tallboy a mullet. I’ve finally accepted that the newer bikes are not that much better than what I have. I’m looking to hold onto this one until it break to get that lifetime warranty.

New Tallboy won't be mullet, that's why the 5010 exists. It'll probably share the same front triangle as the new 5010 (like they did with the Mega and Nomad) but will stay 130/120 29/29.

But yeah hard to justify upgrading from a TB4 when all you get is the bloated storage downtube and minor tweaks for a huge price.

O+
Posted: Sep 18, 2022 at 13:58 Quote
Ya mine has given me no issues, and I’m in love with the yellow debut color I bought when it was first released. I’m curious to see what Ibis does for the ripley when the new tallboy comes out.

Posted: Sep 18, 2022 at 14:29 Quote
I really wanted the blue for 22, but could not find one. Hoping the 23 color in gloss is nice. Supposed to be a dark, but bright blue. ? Will see.

Posted: Sep 19, 2022 at 6:07 Quote
gmoss wrote:
I really wanted the blue for 22, but could not find one. Hoping the 23 color in gloss is nice. Supposed to be a dark, but bright blue. ? Will see.

Hey, gmoss. Any details on the other matte color? Thanks!

O+
Posted: Sep 19, 2022 at 8:27 Quote
Any link you could reference for upcoming colors or details? This is the first I am hearing of a blue color for the new Tallboy.

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010241
Mobile Version of Website