Wolf Tooth Angle Head Sets

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Wolf Tooth Angle Head Sets
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 7:35 Quote
Hey guys,

Novice/hobbyist bike mechanic here, former journeyman auto tech.

I have 2015 Norco Range, that's starting to look a little short and not very slack compared to new geometries coming out these days.

Instead of getting rid of it and getting a new bike, I'm curious about the 1deg angled headsets available these days..

The only drawback I can see is that it then makes the handlebars reach a touch shorter, is it noticeable though?
Could this be compensated for with different bars that have a more forward sweep, or would it need a longer stem to compensate?

Curious if installing one would create more problems than it solves basically..

Posted: Aug 5, 2022 at 8:25 Quote
The loss of reach is negligible compared to what you gain from slackening the head angle and lengthening the wheelbase.
FYI, because it moves the wheel up and away, you won't quite get a full 1⁰ of difference, more like 0.7, I'd be tempted to go for it full whack and put a 2⁰ in there. I did that with my old Cotic and went from 65⁰ to 63.5⁰ and it transformed the thing going downhill

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2022 at 18:00 Quote
MevinSchmevick wrote:
Hey guys,

Novice/hobbyist bike mechanic here, former journeyman auto tech.

I have 2015 Norco Range, that's starting to look a little short and not very slack compared to new geometries coming out these days.

Instead of getting rid of it and getting a new bike, I'm curious about the 1deg angled headsets available these days..

The only drawback I can see is that it then makes the handlebars reach a touch shorter, is it noticeable though?
Could this be compensated for with different bars that have a more forward sweep, or would it need a longer stem to compensate?

Curious if installing one would create more problems than it solves basically..

It should make it feel better. One thing though I’d just make sure before buying it is they the rest of the bike is in good condition. If it is old and hasn’t been taken care of welll it may not make sense to put much money into it if the linkage needs e rebuilt and a bunch of other stuff. Totally is worth it though if the bike is in good shape though

O+
Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 9:31 Quote
Awesome thanks for the feedback!!

O+
Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 12:21 Quote
Angle headsets shorten reach and lower stack a touch. You may or may not notice, and you can futz with stem and spacers and bars to get it back where you had it, if that is important to you.

I have always liked Wolftooth stuff and it’s a much cheaper experiment than buying a new bike. Go for it!

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 12:37 Quote
I had the same predicament with worrying about short reach. I got the wolf tooth 1 degree (went from 65.9 deg to 64.9 deg as i measured before and after to see if it was a full degree-it was). I did get on the bike after installation and felt it was a bit shorter but then I realized I didn't adjust my bar roll after I put on the headset and that made a difference. I didn't go full 2 degree cause i was worried about reach loss, I don't regret just going 1 degree and it really changed the bike for the better. The wolf tooth angle set it beautiful and made to a very high level of precision. Installation was super easy and im very happy with the results. If you have any other questions about that specific angle set let me know.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009104
Mobile Version of Website