Code R brakes fading really bad

PB Forum :: Downhill
Code R brakes fading really bad
Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 7:56 Quote
Seems to be that every time I go ride , by the end of the day my brakes are trashed.
I have to flush /bleed the rears every time I ride. I dunno if I’m just working code R breaks to hard or what?
I’m riding mostly tech Blacks but not very quickly and the Oo casino hard double black tech

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong but the pads are new rotors are really new and still at the end of the day my brakes feel like mush and the engagement point is damn near on the handle bars until I go re-bleed them

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 11:10 Quote
My first guess would be a leak somewhere in your system--at the caliper, hose, or lever.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 18:18 Quote
I would of said the same thing. All I can say is there is no visible leaks at least

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 20:40 Quote
barp wrote:
My first guess would be a leak somewhere in your system--at the caliper, hose, or lever.

That would be my guess too, fluid getting out / air getting in somewhere. Definitely sounds like something is wrong, thats not normal behaviour from any brakes (and Codes are normally good brakes).

Strange if both front and rear brakes are doing it though unless maybe the way you are bleeding them is causing it.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 22:17 Quote
Codes are trash, barely an upgrade to v brakes, maybe a downgrade from cable discs lol
Throw them away

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 5:47 Quote
Maybe you are heavy and break too much + standard rotor. My friend is quite heave and slow and when he ride too much the same thing happens to the point oil almost boils inside.

If thats true, you would need better breaks.

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 7:11 Quote
Could be that you might be dragging brakes without really noticing causing heated fluid.

Or just that they are designed and mass produced by scummy sram co.

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 14:23 Quote
Im surprised to hear you say code brakes are trash
According to most reviews they are one of the best brakes out there

I demand linearity with my breaks which is why I hate Shimano

So if not code, then what?

What are considered to be the best with the best linear feel

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 15:39 Quote
They're just talking smack I think, trolling for a reaction.

The comments about braking too much or dragging the brakes are worth thinking about though - continuous light to moderate braking can overheat brakes much more easily than shorter bursts of harder braking, I used to do that at times when I was a newer rider until I got more confident with carrying speed and improved my braking technique.

It can become a vicious cycle too - if you drag the brakes too much because you aren't feeling confident, the brakes get hot and less effective which makes your confidence worse, then you don't want to pick up speed because you don't trust the brakes to stop you so you drag the brakes even more, and they get even hotter...

That may not be your issue at all, I have no idea because we're strangers on the internet! But worth thinking about your braking technique in case it is a factor.

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 18:00 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
They're just talking smack I think, trolling for a reaction.

The comments about braking too much or dragging the brakes are worth thinking about though - continuous light to moderate braking can overheat brakes much more easily than shorter bursts of harder braking, I used to do that at times when I was a newer rider until I got more confident with carrying speed and improved my braking technique.

It can become a vicious cycle too - if you drag the brakes too much because you aren't feeling confident, the brakes get hot and less effective which makes your confidence worse, then you don't want to pick up speed because you don't trust the brakes to stop you so you drag the brakes even more, and they get even hotter...

That may not be your issue at all, I have no idea because we're strangers on the internet! But worth thinking about your braking technique in case it is a factor.

For sure , all valid points

Just out of curiosity , what do the pros use for brakes?
I like the linear feel of the sram.

Is there a big difference between Code R and Code RSC? I was reading and it seems like a lever difference

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 18:35 Quote
captain-electron wrote:
Seems to be that every time I go ride , by the end of the day my brakes are trashed.
I have to flush /bleed the rears every time I ride. I dunno if I’m just working code R breaks to hard or what?
I’m riding mostly tech Blacks but not very quickly and the Oo casino hard double black tech

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong but the pads are new rotors are really new and still at the end of the day my brakes feel like mush and the engagement point is damn near on the handle bars until I go re-bleed them


How does it feel the morning after? Is it still just pulling to the bar at that point? How many runs does it take for them to pull to the bar? You should not need to bleed them every ride- my Hayes have not been bled in over a year and they are just starting to fade- just for reference. I would first check for leaks by taking out the pads and wheel, putting a bleed block wrapped in paper towel between the pistons of the caliper, the zip tie pretty tight the lever (to simulate pulling the lever). Leave that setup over night and if you see any fluid in the morning you’ve got a leak. Paper towel will tell you if the caliper is leaking.

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 20:18 Quote
captain-electron wrote:
Im surprised to hear you say code brakes are trash
According to most reviews they are one of the best brakes out there

I demand linearity with my breaks which is why I hate Shimano

So if not code, then what?

What are considered to be the best with the best linear feel

I’d maybe run codes with 220’s on my road bike, that’s all they're good for aside from being really expensive paperweights. I can’t think of any privateer in the top 10 of any class of the races I go to that runs sram brakes. Between the dot fluid, no power, and difficulty to bleed compared to most other brakes makes anything else a pretty obvious choice. Cascade Components agrees as they sell aftermarket cams and calipers for sram brakes to make them actually usable.

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 22:04 Quote
TheSlayer99 wrote:
I’d maybe run codes with 220’s on my road bike, that’s all they're good for aside from being really expensive paperweights.


Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 3:53 Quote
captain-electron wrote:
Gravelben wrote:
They're just talking smack I think, trolling for a reaction.

The comments about braking too much or dragging the brakes are worth thinking about though - continuous light to moderate braking can overheat brakes much more easily than shorter bursts of harder braking, I used to do that at times when I was a newer rider until I got more confident with carrying speed and improved my braking technique.

It can become a vicious cycle too - if you drag the brakes too much because you aren't feeling confident, the brakes get hot and less effective which makes your confidence worse, then you don't want to pick up speed because you don't trust the brakes to stop you so you drag the brakes even more, and they get even hotter...

That may not be your issue at all, I have no idea because we're strangers on the internet! But worth thinking about your braking technique in case it is a factor.

For sure , all valid points

Just out of curiosity , what do the pros use for brakes?
I like the linear feel of the sram.

Is there a big difference between Code R and Code RSC? I was reading and it seems like a lever difference

SC adds a Swinglink which is slightly nicer actuation and Contact point adjust, which is actual nice to tune your bite point to your preferences. (But bleed with the dial in center position not maxed out as stated in manual, that way it provides more adjustment later).

Also not to talk smack, on top of braking technique how heavy are you?
Other options to look into are (for any brake set): using different pads (sinter), large diameter rotors and thicker rotors. The new SRAM HS2's in 220 or even thicker: I have TRP's 2,3mm in combination with Code's so that fits.

But if it is not temporary fading and it stays bad the day after, there is really something wrong. I got 3 pairs of Codes RSC for DH and Enduro riding and I just bleed them maybe twice a year as part of maintenance.
If a brake fading quick, that normally points to air somewhere in the system, but that can be felt prior the ride already by feeling the brake heaving a less firm lever feel than typical.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 4:17 Quote
captain-electron wrote:
Just out of curiosity , what do the pros use for brakes?
I like the linear feel of the sram.

Is there a big difference between Code R and Code RSC? I was reading and it seems like a lever difference

You see plenty of pro riders running Code RSC, or high end Shimano, or more specialist brake manufacturers like Magura, Hayes, TRP. Quite a variety really. (not talking about XC, they're a different breed!)

Of course many pros ride what their sponsors give them and you don't know if its what they would actually spend their own money on.

I've had Code RSC for about a year so far with great performance and no trouble, easily the best brakes I've used. I'm just a casual mediocre rider but I do weigh 105kg so my brakes have to do some work.

I haven't tried Code R to compare. I had their little brother Guide R for a while which were decent once I swapped to metallic compound pads but Code RSC are a big step above those.

I haven't tried higher end Shimano for an informed opinion on those, only basic low end Shimano which I find weak and wooden feeling (but better than Sram Level TL which were fade city).

Just my 5c, everyone has an opinion of course!

Previous Page |

 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006927
Mobile Version of Website