Code R brakes fading really bad

PB Forum :: Downhill
Code R brakes fading really bad
| Next Page
Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 6:59 Quote
captain-electron wrote:

Is there a big difference between Code R and Code RSC? I was reading and it seems like a lever difference

The RSCs are so much better it's almost not worth comparing. I've had nothing but trouble of Code Rs (over several different sets) and even when they're working well, they still die on really steep trails. The RSCs still need bled to much, but the performance is excellent.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 10:29 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
TheSlayer99 wrote:
I’d maybe run codes with 220’s on my road bike, that’s all they're good for aside from being really expensive paperweights.

Well GRAVEL Ben, I think you are the troll, your a gravel rider In a DH form talking about brakes. Xt 2 piston with metallic pads ARE more powerful than any of the srams, if you look at all the srams they are some of the least powerful brakes on the list.
AND by your own admission you havent even tried a proper brake.

Sram brakes suck

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 11:17 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
captain-electron wrote:

Is there a big difference between Code R and Code RSC? I was reading and it seems like a lever difference

The RSCs are so much better it's almost not worth comparing. I've had nothing but trouble of Code Rs (over several different sets) and even when they're working well, they still die on really steep trails. The RSCs still need bled to much, but the performance is excellent.

I’m shocked to hear this. They are literally the same brake caliper with the a different lever

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 11:28 Quote
captain-electron wrote:
militantmandy wrote:
captain-electron wrote:

I’m shocked to hear this. They are literally the same brake caliper with the a different lever

Yea, but the lever has the added swinglink which completely changes them

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 14:12 Quote
englertracing wrote:
Well GRAVEL Ben, I think you are the troll, your a gravel rider In a DH form talking about brakes.

Er, no I'm not (though I do occasionally ride my hardtail on gravel roads). You know what they say about making assumptions! The gravel in my user name is from my background as a rally photographer, I just used the same user name here as some other places.

To be fair though, I'm more of a trail/enduro style of rider and hadn't even noticed this was in the DH section, I just opened it from the recent threads list.

And the trolling point stands, nobody suggesting Codes with 220mm rotors are only suitable for road bikes or paperweights can expect to be taken seriously.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 17:21 Quote
englertracing wrote:
Gravelben wrote:
TheSlayer99 wrote:
I’d maybe run codes with 220’s on my road bike, that’s all they're good for aside from being really expensive paperweights.

Well GRAVEL Ben, I think you are the troll, your a gravel rider In a DH form talking about brakes. Xt 2 piston with metallic pads ARE more powerful than any of the srams, if you look at all the srams they are some of the least powerful brakes on the list.
AND by your own admission you havent even tried a proper brake.

Sram brakes suck

You are quoting a table from a group test article from Enduro MTB in which the Code RSC is actually the 'best in test' winner. At least according that test the Codes RSC beat al others listed.*
Link to the complete article:
https://enduro-mtb.com/en/best-mtb-disc-brake-can-buy/

* I think multiple of that test are potential 'winners' and it is a bit more down to final preference for lever feel, engagement etc. But all of them wont work if they aren't bleed properly, or overheat if you are heavy and just drag a lot with small discs.

Regarding heat management I'm happy we finally seeing sturdier discs and less worry of manufactures to increase mass of calipers. Enduro and DH-sport developed a lot not only speed &skill, but also the offering of kind of trails, where speeds can be higher.

And regarding difference Code R vs Code RSC: I should check but I believe the piston of the calipers are different material as well.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 2:22 Quote
captain-electron wrote:
militantmandy wrote:
captain-electron wrote:

As long as a caliper is decent and suitable for the type of riding, the lever is mostly defining how a brake will feel. It is all a mix of ratios between master cylinder area vs brake pistons area. Leverage rate of the lever to the mastercylinder. How the lever actuates the master cylinder: a linear rod, or something more fancy like Servo-wave (shimano) or Swinglink (sram). Shape of lever etc.

People also like to put Shimano levers on Maguras calipers (shiguras) to improve performance, but that trend probably also partly started because durability of the M levers....

Neko Mullaley is also running a mix of sorts, if I recall correct Shimano XTR calipers and TRP levers. And I don't think that that is primarily because of brake-power (as there are stronger brakes, for example Trickstuff) but all about the feel this set-up gives him. "Power is nothing without control" there are plenty brakes that are powerfull enough but the modulation, power delivery and consistency is what sets them apart and where preferences comes in.

Posted: Aug 13, 2022 at 9:46 Quote
As others have said, code r's are complete rubbish and are nothing like code rsc. Ridden plenty of bikes with code r and they all suck. You can improve them somewhat with good pads like mtx, and forcing fluid into the caliper after bleeding, but they will still suck after a few hard rides.

[Quote="Gravelben"]
englertracing wrote:
And the trolling point stands, nobody suggesting Codes with 220mm rotors are only suitable for road bikes or paperweights can expect to be taken seriously.

So have you actually ridden downhill with code r's then? Edit: just read your earlier post and you have never even used code r's yet you're calling others trolls for saying they suck.

Posted: Aug 13, 2022 at 20:59 Quote
I can see getting any valid info off this site is going to be tough. Seems like
Lots of internet pissing matches. I put RSC on it with new h2s rotors and it made a big change. I’m happy with my choice

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 3:13 Quote
Let Sram know this props info as noone gaf bout sram brakes anymore.

So much better out there it is shocking

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 4:06 Quote
captain-electron wrote:
Lots of internet pissing matches. I put RSC on it with new h2s rotors and it made a big change. I’m happy with my choice
If you find that you dont have enough range on the contact adjust dial you can bleed as explained in this video from 7min13s that will give you more options to set the contact point further from the levers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACGyA1QVWIg&t=433s

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 7:12 Quote
captain-electron wrote:

How so? Multiple people said rsc are nothing like r and are good brakes. You changed to rsc and that made it better. You just needed to listen to the people that had actually used code r brakes, not the one person that hadnt.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014915
Mobile Version of Website