2015 Norco Range Derailleur Hanger

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
2015 Norco Range Derailleur Hanger
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 8:09 Quote
Hi all,

I've finally done a 1x11 conversion to my 2015 Range. 11-51T Deore Casette with 11spd Deore long cage Derailleur, and used the hanger that was already there from the 2x10spd.

The B-screw and upper limiter screws are at their max to get the jockey wheel aligned to the largest sprocket, while still being low enough that it doesn't interfere. It seems to me that I shouldn't need to have 2 of 3 adjustments at their max to have this cassette and derailleur combo work.

It looks like a hanger that puts the derailleur closer to the cassette and drops it a bit would allow me to have the 2 adjustments mentioned not at their extremities.

Thoughts?

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 11:36 Quote
MevinSchmevick wrote:
Hi all,

I've finally done a 1x11 conversion to my 2015 Range. 11-51T Deore Casette with 11spd Deore long cage Derailleur, and used the hanger that was already there from the 2x10spd.

The B-screw and upper limiter screws are at their max to get the jockey wheel aligned to the largest sprocket, while still being low enough that it doesn't interfere. It seems to me that I shouldn't need to have 2 of 3 adjustments at their max to have this cassette and derailleur combo work.

It looks like a hanger that puts the derailleur closer to the cassette and drops it a bit would allow me to have the 2 adjustments mentioned not at their extremities.

Thoughts?

I’m inclined to say that if it works then leave it. If the adjustments are at their max, but it works I don’t see an issue. If it does not work though, wolf tooth makes something, I believe the goat link, which pushes the derailleur back more to allow for the extra space with the b tension.

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 7:27 Quote
Well, it was working on my test ride, until the end, where now the jockey wheel is contacting the cassette in gears 1+2. Not sure why only at the end of my ride, perhaps the cable, shifter and derailleur all settled into place.

Looks like I'll have to get a hanger extension like the Wolf Tooth Goat Link, thank you for the reminder! I forgot these exist.

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 8:36 Quote
What model number is the Deore derailleur, 5100, 5120 or 4120 ?

Some 2015 Range bikes had direct mount hangers, some had conventional hangers, what hanger is on your bike?

Some photos of the setup in high and low gears might be could be useful .

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 6:44 Quote
[Quote="cobba"]What model number is the Deore derailleur, 5100, 5120 or 4120 ?

Some 2015 Range bikes had direct mount hangers, some had conventional hangers, what hanger is on your bike?

Some photos of the setup in high and low gears might be could be useful .[/Quote

I've got the M5100 Deore long cage.
I don't know the difference between direct mount and conventional hangers, but I have some pictures.

currently as you can see in the pictures, the case isn't low enough even with the B-screw set to max.
What's also happening is that the derailleur is set to it's max upper limit, but still cant get the jockey wheel aligned fully with the big cog/1st gear, so it's pulling it off into second gear.

Please help!

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 20:10 Quote
You've got a conventional mount derailleur and a direct mount derailleur hanger, the derailleur you have isn't made to be used with that hanger.

You need to change the direct mount hanger to a conventional hanger.

I think the following might be what you have and what you need, a Norco dealer should be able to get you the correct hanger.

Direct mount: https://www.rearmechhanger.com/product/rear-gear-mech-derailleur-hanger-w276/

Conventional: https://www.rearmechhanger.com/product/rear-gear-mech-derailleur-hanger-cc1021/

* the Wolf Tooth Goat Link you mentioned, isn't made to be used with conventional derailleurs, it can only be used on derailleurs that use a b-link or bracket axle unit, it's a alternate part to the stock part.

* Direct mount hangers are only for derailleurs that use a b-link or bracket axle unit, the b-link or bracket axle unit needs to be removed from the derailleur before it's attached.

The same derailleur is in both photos below, on the left it has the b-link or bracket axle unit removed and it's attached to a direct mount hanger, on the right it's attached to a conventional hanger with the b-link or bracket axle unit.

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 9:47 Quote
cobba wrote:
You've got a conventional mount derailleur and a direct mount derailleur hanger, the derailleur you have isn't made to be used with that hanger.

You need to change the direct mount hanger to a conventional hanger.

I think the following might be what you have and what you need, a Norco dealer should be able to get you the correct hanger.

Direct mount: https://www.rearmechhanger.com/product/rear-gear-mech-derailleur-hanger-w276/

Conventional: https://www.rearmechhanger.com/product/rear-gear-mech-derailleur-hanger-cc1021/

* the Wolf Tooth Goat Link you mentioned, isn't made to be used with conventional derailleurs, it can only be used on derailleurs that use a b-link or bracket axle unit, it's a alternate part to the stock part.

* Direct mount hangers are only for derailleurs that use a b-link or bracket axle unit, the b-link or bracket axle unit needs to be removed from the derailleur before it's attached.

The same derailleur is in both photos below, on the left it has the b-link or bracket axle unit removed and it's attached to a direct mount hanger, on the right it's attached to a conventional hanger with the b-link or bracket axle unit.

Yes!! Thank you so much this was exactly the problem. I had no idea that certain derailleurs use different hangers but I guess it makes sense.

I've installed the correct hanger and the drive train is working about 95% well. Except now the derailleur sits slightly too far toward the hub. It will only shift into 10th gear and not 11th (smallest cog), and then shifted to 1st (biggest cog) it will over shift and the chain falls off behind the cassette. I have adjusted the upper and lower limit screws, but the derailleur is still oriented 1 gear out of range toward the center of the wheel/hub.

I've noticed on the hanger there is an indent that is causing this:

But I can't find a hanger for the bike that doesn't have this recess built into it. I thought about shimming it outward with a washer, but doing this reduces how much of the derailleur bolt is engaged into the hanger.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 19:22 Quote
Was the shifter in the correct gear when you attached the cable to the derailleur?

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 8:26 Quote
cobba wrote:
Was the shifter in the correct gear when you attached the cable to the derailleur?

Welllllllll now I feel like a complete dummy... no it must not have been because I just reset the cable to derailleur both in 11th gear and it's perfect.

Cannot thank you enough!

The mistake I've now also learned I was making is that I was pulling the cable into the derailleur too tight, instead of setting it into the derailleur at normal/no tension.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012322
Mobile Version of Website