AXS and river crossings

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
AXS and river crossings
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 17:39 Quote
Hi,

Next week we are riding in the Chilcotins and there's many river crossings.

Should I have any concerns with my SRAM AXS derailleur? I read that they are IPX7 rated, meaning they are waterproof to 1 metre for 30 minutes, so I guess that kinda answers my question, but looking for 1st hand experiences.

Should I take out the battery and push my bike through the water? Or just leave it in?

Perhaps it's just best to carry the bike on my shoulders......

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 12:40 Quote
I've done many (about 6 so far if I recall) wide river crossings where the water was above the axles and the derailleur was submerged. As long as it doesn't stay in there a couple hours or salt water, you'll be fine.

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 12:57 Quote
TimmoWhistler wrote:
Hi,

Next week we are riding in the Chilcotins and there's many river crossings.

Should I have any concerns with my SRAM AXS derailleur? I read that they are IPX7 rated, meaning they are waterproof to 1 metre for 30 minutes, so I guess that kinda answers my question, but looking for 1st hand experiences.

Should I take out the battery and push my bike through the water? Or just leave it in?

Perhaps it's just best to carry the bike on my shoulders......

I'm watching a season of "Alone" that's filmed in the Chilcotins area by Chilko Lake - I'd be very concerned about bears - great big Grizzly bears.

FWIW - I'd ditch the AXS for a standard cable. I don't know your experience with the system, but just this past weekend I heard a dude grumbling about his shifter battery failing mid ride during a local race and he was stuck in the highest gear. At least with a cable you can almost always work something out. Electronic not so much.

Have a good trip.

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 21:47 Quote
Great, thanks!

the-one1 wrote:
I've done many (about 6 so far if I recall) wide river crossings where the water was above the axles and the derailleur was submerged. As long as it doesn't stay in there a couple hours or salt water, you'll be fine.

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 21:49 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:

I'm watching a season of "Alone" that's filmed in the Chilcotins area by Chilko Lake - I'd be very concerned about bears - great big Grizzly bears.

FWIW - I'd ditch the AXS for a standard cable. I don't know your experience with the system, but just this past weekend I heard a dude grumbling about his shifter battery failing mid ride during a local race and he was stuck in the highest gear. At least with a cable you can almost always work something out. Electronic not so much.

Have a good trip.

I'm loving the AXS! I always seemed to be re-indexing when I had a cable. OK, I've had to index with the AXS too, but it is so simple to do.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006820
Mobile Version of Website