Thule Yepp Mini vs Thule Yepp Nexxt

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Thule Yepp Mini vs Thule Yepp Nexxt
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 8:33 Quote
What is the primary difference between the 2 units? I've read mixed reviews on both front mount child seats. Does anyone have any advice for me and my 16 month old daughter?

Thank you!

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 10:17 Quote
I'd just go with a Macride or Kids Ride Shotgun. Weight capacity goes much higher (Macride says to 27kg / 60 lbs) and I would think that the weight distribution would be better - it attaches to the seatpost and stem. I have the Macride and love it - I don't have any experience with those Thule style carriers but it looks like they just attach to the stem or bar which I would think would negatively affect handling a lot more.

I would think that both would have some challenges with starting and stopping but, if you are putting it on a bike with a dropper, that alleviates some of the balance issues with starting and stopping. That's what I do with my son on my bike with Macride and it is no problem.

You would probably have to wait a bit longer to put the little one on a Macride since they need more head/neck strength/control. That said, I got my son on the Macride around 16-18 months and only once ever really did any real trail riding with him. More neighbourhood cruising or flat multi-use trails.

https://mac-ride.com/products/black-mac-ride-child-bike-seat

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 10:38 Quote
Thank you for the advice djyosh. I feel like I’d be much more comfortable without that cumbersome Thule seat in my way as well. I’ll look into those Mac-ride seats which has gotten a lot of praise it seems. The only drawback would be that the child isn’t harnessed in but from what I’ve read it doesn’t feel as bad as it sounds. Just have to convince my wife ;-)

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 12:38 Quote
Yeah - I hear you about convincing mama that the kid is not going to get ejected before you reach the end of the block. I think that the point about having more control of the bike with the way the Macride is attached means that you are able to handle the bike better than the Thule option and that is more important than the kiddo being strapped in.

Another bonus is that they are more engaged with their hands on the bars vs a seat where they are purely a passenger.

Posted: Aug 24, 2022 at 13:06 Quote
I ended up getting the kids ride shotgun seat. Thank you for your input. I haven't got her on it just yet, but looking forward to it!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005518
Mobile Version of Website