11-speed Cassette: e*13, garbaruk, or another?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
11-speed Cassette: e*13, garbaruk, or another?
Previous Page |
Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 20:20 Quote
I need to replace the cassette on my 2018 YT Jeffsy 27CF (https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/YT/Jeffsy-27-CF,22111)

It came with an 11-speed e*13 TRS+ gen 1

YT recommends sticking with e*13. I’ve heard good things about Garbaruk. I don’t care about weight just a work horse cassette that’ll take the abuse of a heavy rider.

What would you recommend?

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 1:39 Quote
I'll probably get a bit of stick for this off of someone for buying "knock offs" but I tried a ZTTO K7 Ultralight 12 Speed cassette from Aliexpress and I can't fault the thing?? It's 400g, shifts fine under load and does what it's supposed to do.. I can't warrant paying £350 for a cassette when it's classed as a consumable item.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 19:09 Quote
J3cc wrote:
I'll probably get a bit of stick for this off of someone for buying "knock offs" but I tried a ZTTO K7 Ultralight 12 Speed cassette from Aliexpress and I can't fault the thing?? It's 400g, shifts fine under load and does what it's supposed to do.. I can't warrant paying £350 for a cassette when it's classed as a consumable item.

This works sometimes. I’ve worked on several customers bikes with an off brand cassette and it just doesn’t shift as well as a nice quality cassette. I’d bet it varies based on which cassette you buy, and some are probably pretty good, but some Jusr won’t stay in gear for some gears and won’t shift right.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 23:39 Quote
Cheap cassettes are so hit and miss. Had to use some during the peak bike component shortage crisis, some were fine, and some were awful. No ramps on the cogs, cog spacing WAY off, generally poorly machined. Yes, they were a quarter of the price of a branded one, but in my eyes a Shimano or SRAM cassette is more than four times better in terms of quality, shifting and durability. Worried about it wearing out? Change your chain more often. I've been running the same titanium Dura Ace cassette on my road bike for over 5 years, because I change my chain every 4 months. MTB cassettes are expensive so look after them moreso.

Back to OPs question, get a Shimano because they just work really well

Posted: Aug 13, 2022 at 7:03 Quote
Like I said, mine seems well made and works so I guess I'm lucky? Although it was their most expensive option. I don't really agree with you having to replace a chain every 4 months though either, stuff should just last longer for the money we're charged.

Posted: Aug 13, 2022 at 8:36 Quote
Four months of riding could be 5 km or 5000 km. What's the distance we're talking about here?

Posted: Aug 13, 2022 at 9:05 Quote
I suppose when you put it like that then that's fair but I don't cover anywhere near that haha. You must have iron legs man!

Posted: Aug 13, 2022 at 10:43 Quote
J3cc wrote:
Like I said, mine seems well made and works so I guess I'm lucky? Although it was their most expensive option. I don't really agree with you having to replace a chain every 4 months though either, stuff should just last longer for the money we're charged.

A chain is considerably cheaper than a tyre, yet we change those in summer/winter, and people regularly seem to trash a set in a couple of days riding bike park.
I don't HAVE to change the chain that often, I just prefer to save the life of the more expensive component

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 13:34 Quote
TimMog wrote:
J3cc wrote:

A chain is considerably cheaper than a tyre, yet we change those in summer/winter, and people regularly seem to trash a set in a couple of days riding bike park.
I don't HAVE to change the chain that often, I just prefer to save the life of the more expensive component

Well it's almost always worth buying the best chain you can as you got the most mileage per £, no rust etc but the best chains are not cheaper than tyres...an XX1 or XTR chain costs around the same or more than a top end tyre. Although can be found cheaper the xx1 chain on chainreaction currently is 85 quid...changed every 4 months that would mean you have a monthly outgoing cost of over 20 quid a month just for the chain on your bicycle....that's ridiculous. Is everyone on here a millionaire or what?

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 22:36 Quote
Except it's not worth getting the most expensive chain unless you're concerned about saving weight. X01 chains last longer than XX1, same with second Shimano tier chains

My Eagle cassette is close to 2 years old and isn't even close to needing to being replaced yet.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 0:05 Quote
TimMog wrote:
Except it's not worth getting the most expensive chain unless you're concerned about saving weight. X01 chains last longer than XX1, same with second Shimano tier chains

My Eagle cassette is close to 2 years old and isn't even close to needing to being replaced yet.

Who told you this, the top chains last the longest, the hollow pin chains are actually the strongest and have the most plating and coatings on all the parts, there is actual tests online to back this up too.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/12/the-best-bicycle-chain-durability-and-efficiency-tested/

Yes the XX1 and XO1 Eagle cassette lasts a very long time...I was over a year on an XX1 cassette and chain on my previous bike with very little cassette wear. Currently now on Shimano 12 speed running an XTR chain. I don't expect the Shimano to last anywhere near as long but I like the smooth shifting, better clutch and better price.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 1:55 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
TimMog wrote:

Who told you this, the top chains last the longest, the hollow pin chains are actually the strongest and have the most plating and coatings on all the parts, there is actual tests online to back this up too.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/12/the-best-bicycle-chain-durability-and-efficiency-tested/

Yes the XX1 and XO1 Eagle cassette lasts a very long time...I was over a year on an XX1 cassette and chain on my previous bike with very little cassette wear. Currently now on Shimano 12 speed running an XTR chain. I don't expect the Shimano to last anywhere near as long but I like the smooth shifting, better clutch and better price.

Who told me? That exact same article you linked to. The graph for 12 speed chain durability lists the X01 chain higher than XX1...

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 2:05 Quote
TimMog wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:
TimMog wrote:

Who told me? That exact same article you linked to. The graph for 12 speed chain durability lists the X01 chain higher than XX1...

Even so Tim, X01 chain X 4 will cost you £180 a year, you must really like pissing your money up the wall.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 3:04 Quote
Three times a year. Dunno, seems a small price to pay to not fork out for a £300+ cassette every year

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 3:08 Quote
Either way, we digress from what OP was asking. My suggestion (which may differ from others) is buy a Shimano cassette because they shift very well, and generally last better than others (providing your chain, regardless of how often you want to change it, isn't f*cked)

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006941
Mobile Version of Website