Which downhill bikes are for racing vs park?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Which downhill bikes are for racing vs park?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 23:47 Quote
After renting a Trek Session at my local downhill park, I've been shopping for a proper downhill bike. Reading bits here and elsewhere, seems some models are generally regarded as more race-oriented (Santa Cruz v10?) vs freeride/jump/fun oriented. I'm interested in the latter

It seems most the marketing for all the popular downhill models mostly focuses on speed/racing—is there a definitive list of which downhill bikes are best for each type of riding? I just want to hit the jump line at ever mountain I go to.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 0:01 Quote
Modern downhill bikes are excellent for park laps, You just need to setup the suspension to assist. Brands like commencal, canyon, nukeproof etc make park bikes like the furious/clash/torque/giga

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 0:14 Quote
I was coming off a 2016 Trek Remedy 8 29, and actually recently bought a Commencal Supreme, but it isn't nearly as confidence inspiring as the Trek Session. Maybe I should've looked at the Furious instead.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 13:28 Quote
dustinhorton wrote:
I was coming off a 2016 Trek Remedy 8 29, and actually recently bought a Commencal Supreme, but it isn't nearly as confidence inspiring as the Trek Session. Maybe I should've looked at the Furious instead.

I don’t know why I feel like big brand bike companies have more R&D in bike geometry suspension designs etc… which make the bikes just feel overall better

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 17:10 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
Modern downhill bikes are excellent for park laps, You just need to setup the suspension to assist.

100% agree

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 21:48 Quote
the Schwinn Straight 8... built to race

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 18:34 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
Modern downhill bikes are excellent for park laps, You just need to setup the suspension to assist. Brands like commencal, canyon, nukeproof etc make park bikes like the furious/clash/torque/giga

I just rode a Santa Cruz Nomad and didn't like it at all, so am worried the less 'DH-y' bikes like the Clash and Torque won't feel like the Session did…

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 9:26 Quote
dustinhorton wrote:
HeatedRotor wrote:

I just rode a Santa Cruz Nomad and didn't like it at all, so am worried the less 'DH-y' bikes like the Clash and Torque won't feel like the Session did…

What didn't you like about the Nomad, the suspension or geometry?

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 10:05 Quote
Are you over thinking things here? If you tried a session, you liked the session, it looks like (you should consider purchasing) a session?

Out side of that, off the top of my head, Commencal's FRS/Furious and Norco's Shore Bikepark are long travel dual crown bikes specifically NOT marketed as race bikes. Going back a couple of years, Rocky's Maiden was one too.

Posted: Aug 21, 2022 at 9:48 Quote
Curious to know as well what you didn't like about the nomad?

As lance said, if you loved the session why not get a session? They seem to be the most available dh bike out there too which is convenient.

Posted: Aug 26, 2022 at 20:59 Quote
The 2022 trek session with the high pivot is a great all around bike. Flow trails, racing snd chunky stuff.

I came off a Commencal Supreme 2020 and that was a full on race bike. Likes to go straight really fast!

I rented a Spesh Demo 29, very fun bike, really playful and poppy. I’d love to try that bike with the OChain to reduce the pedal kick.

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 3:29 Quote
Maybe try a few more mountains and rent some different bikes.

Many of them go on sale tuned and used at the end of each season.

I run a V10 2016 and pretty much like to hit the jump lines as well, but know the bike can handle way more than I know how to give it.

I find the dialing in the perfect suspension setup really affects how the bike handles on the transitions and landings and whether I am riding the flow versus the rocky rooty runs.

Good luck and enjoy

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006235
Mobile Version of Website