8.75x2.75 / 222x70 Shock Options in 2022

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
8.75x2.75 / 222x70 Shock Options in 2022
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 7:39 Quote
Hello All,

I'm building a 2011 Intense UZZI VP 190mm "Big Mountian"/"Enduro Bike" that requires a 8.75x2.75 / 222x70 rear shock.
The original shock is an '11 Fox VanRC that seems smooth & functional but could probably use an overhaul.

The final build is getting Paired with a '23MY 190mm RS Zeb Ultimate, will update with a picture next week when it arrives.

It seems with trunnion mounts taking over a lot of the older sizing is fading out, Cane Creek & RS both got rid of their air options last year or earlier & Fox hasn't updated the DHX2 for 2 years.

The bike seems efficient enough on the climb, but a climb switch wouldn't be upsetting, downhill performance is more crucial.

What I have found so far (Staying Coil):

Rockshox Vivid R2C ....................................................................... LSC, HSC, R
Fox DHX2 (2020) ............................................................................ LSC, HSC, LSR, HSR
Marzocchi Bomber CR (Looks almost identical to my VanRC) ....... R, C
MRP Raze ....................................................................................... LSC, HSC, R
MRP Hazzard (has climb switch) .................................................... LSC, HSC, R
Öhlins TTX22M ............................................................................... LSC, HSC, LSR

I can find little to no Info / Reviews on any of these other that the MFG site, and the '20 DHX2 seemed to have seal issues and require constant maintenance?

If anyone has user experience on any of these models, or is much more knowledgeable with suspensions please help me out, attached is the suspension leverage ratios for the nerds of us.

Thanks,
New RS ZEB ULTIMATE 27.5 190mm 27.5x2.6 Maxxis tires on 35mm DTswiss rims

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 8:20 Quote
the1laf wrote:
Hello All,

I'm building a 2011 Intense UZZI VP 190mm "Big Mountian"/"Enduro Bike" that requires a 8.75x2.75 / 222x70 rear shock.
The original shock is an '11 Fox VanRC that seems smooth & functional but could probably use an overhaul.

The final build is getting Paired with a '23MY 190mm RS Zeb Ultimate, will update with a picture next week when it arrives.

It seems with trunnion mounts taking over a lot of the older sizing is fading out, Cane Creek & RS both got rid of their air options last year or earlier & Fox hasn't updated the DHX2 for 2 years.

The bike seems efficient enough on the climb, but a climb switch wouldn't be upsetting, downhill performance is more crucial.

What I have found so far (Staying Coil):

Rockshox Vivid R2C ....................................................................... LSC, HSC, R
Fox DHX2 (2020) ............................................................................ LSC, HSC, LSR, HSR
Marzocchi Bomber CR (Looks almost identical to my VanRC) ....... R, C
MRP Raze ....................................................................................... LSC, HSC, R
MRP Hazzard (has climb switch) .................................................... LSC, HSC, R
Öhlins TTX22M ............................................................................... LSC, HSC, LSR

I can find little to no Info / Reviews on any of these other that the MFG site, and the '20 DHX2 seemed to have seal issues and require constant maintenance?

If anyone has user experience on any of these models, or is much more knowledgeable with suspensions please help me out, attached is the suspension leverage ratios for the nerds of us.

Thanks,

I would keep the shock you have. Get it serviced properly and it will work fine with a new Zeb. The van shocks are quite reliable and a strong chassis.

You are correct about the 2020 dhx2. They weep oil very easily from the shaft seals. Don't bother with them.

For where to send the old Van shock. Avalanche racing can do custom service and more. Or just send it to Fox and they still service that Van shock. But Fox doesn't have parts for it just seals I believe.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 21:03 Quote
nubbs wrote:
I would keep the shock you have. Get it serviced properly and it will work fine with a new Zeb. The van shocks are quite reliable and a strong chassis.

You are correct about the 2020 dhx2. They weep oil very easily from the shaft seals. Don't bother with them.

For where to send the old Van shock. Avalanche racing can do custom service and more. Or just send it to Fox and they still service that Van shock. But Fox doesn't have parts for it just seals I believe.

Thank you! I sent Avalanche Suspension an email this afternoon.

Posted: Aug 13, 2022 at 0:23 Quote
You should be able to find an EXT Storia in that size, I've got one on my Geometron and it's superb

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008174
Mobile Version of Website