Through axle to quick release adapters?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Through axle to quick release adapters?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 13, 2022 at 11:15 Quote
Hello all,
Question regarding wheels, specifically on a CX bike: is it possible to convert a 12x142 through axle to a quick release? If so, what products do you recommend?

I have an aluminum Felt CX bike that has a 12x142 QR rear wheel. I was in the market to replace the wheels but noticed that all are being sold as 12x142 TA's. The bike is a couple years old and I'm guessing that if the QR ever were a 'thing,' it was short lived and quickly replaced (the front fork has a TA, I don't know why the made the rear different...).

I've seen a few products that might achieve this conversion but am curious to know if anyone has any experience or advice. All input is welcome and thanks in advance.

-Tyler

Posted: Aug 13, 2022 at 17:49 Quote
tiewynelv11 wrote:
Hello all,
Question regarding wheels, specifically on a CX bike: is it possible to convert a 12x142 through axle to a quick release? If so, what products do you recommend?

I have an aluminum Felt CX bike that has a 12x142 QR rear wheel. I was in the market to replace the wheels but noticed that all are being sold as 12x142 TA's. The bike is a couple years old and I'm guessing that if the QR ever were a 'thing,' it was short lived and quickly replaced (the front fork has a TA, I don't know why the made the rear different...).

I've seen a few products that might achieve this conversion but am curious to know if anyone has any experience or advice. All input is welcome and thanks in advance.

-Tyler

Do you have a picture of it? I’ve never heard of a 12x142 quick release. Is it just a quick release thru axle?

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 3:21 Quote
Is your frame definitely 142mm? QR is usually 135mm.

If your frame is 142 spacing a bolt through hub might work with one of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394116593132

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 3:39 Quote
commental wrote:
@cobba I can't get your link to work. Doing a google search I can only see adapters for front hubs from them.

They make a variety of front and rear adapters and also have a ebay store.

12 x 142 to QR: https://www.ebay.com/itm/252015969917

bigquotesThis adapter allows a 12mm x142mm thru axle rear hub to be installed on a standard 10mm dropout x 142mm wide frame. Simple no tools installation, the adapter slips in the hub just like the 12mm thru axle would. The wheel is then mounted and secured with your standard 5mm quick release.

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 3:41 Quote
cobba wrote:
commental wrote:
@cobba I can't get your link to work. Doing a google search I can only see adapters for front hubs from them.

They make a variety of front and rear adapters and also have a ebay store.

12 x 142 to QR: https://www.ebay.com/itm/252015969917

Haha, yes I just edited my post as I found what you were talking about.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005645
Mobile Version of Website