Trail Building Impact Analysis | How to Convice the City Counsel?

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Trail Building Impact Analysis | How to Convice the City Counsel?
Previous Page | Next Page
O+
Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 8:22 Quote
Hey everyone,

My local town has small (5mi) but fun MTB trail that is actively maintained by a number of amazing volunteers. It's limited but only because of funding and support. Around us (cities within 45min drive) have invested more into their biking infra and trails (asphalt pump tracks, jump trails, jump progression lines, and many other things. The impact (# of people who drive and ride) is pretty objective but, I need to quantify that.

What I want to know is how you convinced your city to build and fund larger, more expensive projects for MTB.

I'd also like to know if anyone has used Trailforks and/or Strava data to build current and potential economic impact models? I was thinking of building a simple app to call the Strava and Trailforks API's to aggregate this data but, I first need to understand what a city is really looking for. Essentially, what would get them excited to fund larger projects and help up build!

I suppose the same ask could be said for local businesses as well (e.g., getting trails named after them, etc.)

Anyhow, I'd love to hear your thoughts/suggestions. I feel like this is a non-common topic that needs more attention as I am sure there are others like me who want to make something happen but, need to understand and speak the Gov/business language to get them as excited as we are.

Posted: Sep 22, 2022 at 6:10 Quote
Strava will provide trail centres the data for their trails if you reach out to them.
For the past ten years we have been using trail counters at our two trail entrances. This provides great information to use with local government and sponsors.
A trail survey is also very useful. Information like where they are coming from, their age, gender etc. is powerful information.
If you have an agreement with your local government to build trails but you cannot get funding then raise the money yourself.
We get no local funding so we have sponsor signs and we sell merchandise etc. and do it all ourselves. It takes years to develop but it is feasible.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006729
Mobile Version of Website