Modern FS bikes for tall guys (^ 6’4”)

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Modern FS bikes for tall guys (^ 6’4”)
Previous Page |
Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 8:54 Quote
I couldn’t find an existing thread that covered this subject, feel free to link to existing threads that are relevant.

I’m 6’8”, 230# geared up. On the hunt for a do it all bike that can pedal for 20 miles and handle the occasional rowdy downhill section or jump session.

My current bike is a size S6 2021 Stumpjumper Evo with a 10mm spacer and 45mm rise bars (fork was a take off from my previous bike, an SB130LR (too small)). I’m finding the Stevo to be much better, still the reach is a little too short for my long torso. Also, the Stevo is known to eat shocks for lunch (my DVO T3 blew up and is currently in for service).

I feel like my next bike just needs to be something that can be custom made for my size.

On my short list is the Nicolai Saturn 14/16, Reeb Squeeb V4, Waltworks, or…? Curious if you other Clyde’s have experience on these or similar bike?

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 11:59 Quote
The new Norco Fluid? Reach of 540mm

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 12:00 Quote
Imho deffo go custom and look at steel with a decent pedalling platformed air shock.

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 15:24 Quote
I would go Nicolai personally. They build long and strong.

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 16:38 Quote
Good point on Nicolai

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 19:50 Quote
razzle wrote:
The new Norco Fluid? Reach of 540mm

It’s definitely interesting, I just wonder if it has enough travel for me. I ride in the Pisgah mountains several times a year…

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 19:51 Quote
somebody-else wrote:
I would go Nicolai personally. They build long and strong.

The Nicolai Saturn is near the top of my list. There are surprisingly few comments from Saturn owners though! I have no doubt they are awesome. It’s just hard to find info from owners.

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 19:55 Quote
DmoorDevil wrote:
Imho deffo go custom and look at steel with a decent pedalling platformed air shock.

I have never pedaled a steel FS bike. “Steel is real”, I get it. I have cast an eye towards Waltworks and some other steel frame builders. Most of them seem to be single pivot, which… I dunno, doesn’t excite me?

I’m also not totally opposed to a steel HT if it’s aggressive enough. Something with a 65 degree HTA with a 150mm fork would be fun.

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 22:30 Quote
Nicolai/Geometron.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 6:41 Quote
Nah, I can't get down with a 62.5 deg HTA. I still have to pedal this thing around "normal" trails... I would consider a G1 for a park bike though!

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 6:48 Quote
Starling does an XXL, I believe. Might be right up your alley if steel is your thing. They've just posted one built up by a customer to their Instagram that you could peep for reference.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 6:54 Quote
S5 Specialized Enduro has a reach of 511mm I'd say that's rather long.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 7:06 Quote
J3cc wrote:
S5 Specialized Enduro has a reach of 511mm I'd say that's rather long.

My current bike, an S6 Stumpjumper Evo has a reach of 528mm, I'm looking for something in the 535-540mm range. I wish that they made the Enduro in a larger size.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 7:09 Quote
CamShreds wrote:
Starling does an XXL, I believe. Might be right up your alley if steel is your thing. They've just posted one built up by a customer to their Instagram that you could peep for reference.

I've spent some time eyeing their bikes, they look nice. I'm just not sure where I stand on single pivot designs. I read an interview with them and they seem very dismissive towards linkages but without any real data to back it up. They basically say that the best thing about single pivot deigns are that they are simple and easy to maintain if you ride in the mud a lot.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 7:20 Quote
Pdrenth wrote:
CamShreds wrote:

I've spent some time eyeing their bikes, they look nice. I'm just not sure where I stand on single pivot designs. I read an interview with them and they seem very dismissive towards linkages but without any real data to back it up. They basically say that the best thing about single pivot deigns are that they are simple and easy to maintain if you ride in the mud a lot.

Jeeeeeeeez man you must have a hell of a long reach! I ride an S2 lol

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007515
Mobile Version of Website