Family BC trip next summer

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Family BC trip next summer
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 11:24 Quote
We are planning on a trip to BC next summer.
I am a cautious rider since I broke my collarbone last spring- I like blue trails and some blacks/double blacks. Not sure if mammoth bike park ratings are similar to BC but that’s the only park I’ve been to…
My kids are 8 and 11 and they like green and some blue. Same with my wife who rides a couple times a month at home.
I will be able to ride some on my own and some with the family. My little kid loves pump tracks. I don’t mind some pedaling but my wife and kids don’t like climbing so we will probably do most of our riding at parks.

We will be driving from California and have about two weeks to travel. Where should we go? Probably whistler?
We went on a whitewater kayaking trip pre-kids to Squamish/pemberton area and I wouldn’t mind seeing that area again. But I’ve heard Fernie and Nelson are nice - also my wife wants to see the Canadian Rockies so maybe banff?

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 13:10 Quote
haji1974 wrote:
We are planning on a trip to BC next summer.
I am a cautious rider since I broke my collarbone last spring- I like blue trails and some blacks/double blacks. Not sure if mammoth bike park ratings are similar to BC but that’s the only park I’ve been to…
My kids are 8 and 11 and they like green and some blue. Same with my wife who rides a couple times a month at home.
I will be able to ride some on my own and some with the family. My little kid loves pump tracks. I don’t mind some pedaling but my wife and kids don’t like climbing so we will probably do most of our riding at parks.

We will be driving from California and have about two weeks to travel. Where should we go? Probably whistler?
We went on a whitewater kayaking trip pre-kids to Squamish/pemberton area and I wouldn’t mind seeing that area again. But I’ve heard Fernie and Nelson are nice - also my wife wants to see the Canadian Rockies so maybe banff?

Banff to Fernie is a bit of a ways away (and Nelson is really in the middle of nowhere in relation to everything else around here!) - call it an hour Banff to Calgary and 2 1/2 hours Calgary to Fernie.

If you daisy chained these three together as three individual destinations to stay at for a few days (or more), it would be an awesome trip. Not a huge amount of mountain biking in Banff (a little bit, and if you head west to Canmore there is some good riding there), Fernie is awesome although all the riding I've done has been lots of climbing and some great steep descending. I have not ridden in Nelson so can't comment on the riding but its a very cool place to just vibe.

I'll let the whistler/squamish folks chime in about their corner.

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 15:55 Quote
Banff/Canmore is by far the worst quality riding of the areas you mention (and I don't feel bad saying it since I grew up in Calgary haha), also no options for bike parks unless you go to Fernie/Kicking Horse. Given age/skill level of the kids and wife, I'd lean toward Whistler and probably Sun Peaks (Kamloops) as they just put in a series of new flow trails that are fun and family friendly. Whistler has everything you could possibly want in mountain biking, but also the crowds and costs to come along with it. Sun Peaks will feel deserted in comparison. Silverstar is another good option but not as many good green/blue trails (from memory, been a few years). Fernie and Kicking Horse do not have the same quality of green/blues and aren't as well maintained. Nelson has amazing riding but not much easy stuff and while you can shuttle, there is no lift/park, you would probably love Nelson riding but not sure about the family.

Sea to Sky/coastal BC + trip up to Kamloops/Sun Peaks and maybe down through Vernon is the least amount of driving for most amount of riding.

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 20:31 Quote
You may want to consider silver star in Vernon.

Revelstoke also has lift assisted riding.

In my opinion Fernie is great for biking, if you ride the trails and skip the bike park.

There are two great trail networks that both start right in town. Lots of green and blue options, that require pedaling.

You best bet for biking in Banff is the spray loop, but that is fire road with somewhat manageable climbs on a pretty smooth gravel surface.

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 14:19 Quote
Based on your description I think a Whistler-Sun Peaks-SilverStar combo trip would be a super fun time for your family. All three of those bike parks have trails that it sounds like you'd all enjoy, as well as nice villages to experience with the family. If riding is the main focus of the trip that's what I'd recommend. Both Squamish and Pemberton are short, easy drives from Whistler for day trips too.

If you take Highway 99 north from Whistler, through Pemberton and Lillooet, to Sun Peaks the drive is only 4-5 hours. It's pretty scenic on that route and you avoid the traffic of Vancouver. Sun Peaks and SilverStar are then only 2.5-3 hours away from each other.

If you're trying to fit the Rockies into the same trip as Whistler it starts becoming a lot of driving, especially if you have to factor in driving to/from California during the trip too. Banff is about 6 hours from Sun Peaks or Silverstar via Highway 1. You could also get creative and head north from Sun Peaks to Jasper (approx. 5 hours), stopping in Valemount (which has a great shuttle access bike park) to ride on the way.

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 1:04 Quote
Yes Silver Star is definitely a good idea too. It's not steep and my 13 years old daughter loved it.
Sun Peaks with the new Sundance lift has a very good beginner jump trails too (might as well).
You can't go wrong if you do a road Trip which include Silver Star, Sun peaks, Whistler and Squamish.

Posted: Aug 20, 2022 at 17:57 Quote
Skip Banff. The riding there isn't worth the trip. Silver Star, Sun Peaks and Whistler are all excellent. The drive from Sun Peaks to Whistler via the back way through Kamloops, Cache Creek, Lillooet and Pemberton is definitely worth it. It's my favourite drive!

I recommend starting your BC biking trip in the Okanagan and heading to Silver Star, then Sun Peaks and then head over to Whistler.

I'd be happy to show you and your family around Silver Star if you come out this way!

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006929
Mobile Version of Website