Shimano lever and caliper compatiblity

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Shimano lever and caliper compatiblity
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 16:54 Quote
My son has BR-MT200 on his bike and I happen to have a spare 2 piston XT caliper. I'm wondering if I can frankestein the two together.

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 21:55 Quote
Simple answer is yes.

It's just about the connectors and two different hose types.

MT200's are fitted with BH59 hoses. Shimano hoses with banjo fittings bonded on for newer XT calipers are the BH90 type so would require a BH90 hose fittings for the lever end.

Easy and cheap to do if you already have the XT's or relevant banjo hoses lying around?

There are aftermarket banjo fittings that could be attached to the current MT200 brakes/hoses but never tried one myself so can't say if they're any good or not.

Your choice of course and it's doeable but I reckon it just wouldn't be worth the cost or effort in return for a very small amount of brake performance gain, especially with being paired to non servowave levers.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 10:29 Quote
That is super helfpul, thank you.

What I'm getting from this is that the levers are required to get the performance out of the calipers, otherwise it is just a creative excercise.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 21:41 Quote
Hey, no worries, your welcome. Smile

Yes, I guess half measures don't add up to enough gain for the hassle.

The BH90 hose has a smaller bore which is classed as high pressure, realistically it wouldn't be noticable.

Pads type for the XT calipers has a slightly larger surface area compared to pad type in the MT200's which would add a little more braking power.

Pad compounds (and some popular oem performance brands) like metallic, ceramic, etc. could be good to use with the XT's but then you'd be best off upgrading the rotors also, assuming your lad's bike has entry level 'resin pad only' rotors.

The Servowave action would make some difference and less lever pressure per stopping force which noticably feels better.

Perhaps, if you haven't already, consider the first simple and relatively cheap step of fitting a bigger front rotor, (e.g: 160 to 180mm) that would achieve better results alone.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006281
Mobile Version of Website