Removing stubborn crank arm.

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Removing stubborn crank arm.
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 16:29 Quote
I need to remove one of my Shimano cranks. It has the two bolts that make it pinch against the spindle. It is on an e-bike with the Shimano STEPS system, so I am a little concerned about prying the arm out from the frame. I'm not sure if that lateral torque will damage the STEPS assembly. So, I'm looking for any tips.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 17:28 Quote
dirtflipper wrote:
I need to remove one of my Shimano cranks. It has the two bolts that make it pinch against the spindle. It is on an e-bike with the Shimano STEPS system, so I am a little concerned about prying the arm out from the frame. I'm not sure if that lateral torque will damage the STEPS assembly. So, I'm looking for any tips.

Sometimes it takes a bit of a tap on the inside of the crank to get them off. That is if I am picturing what your talking about correctly. A picture could be useful

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 18:49 Quote
dirtflipper wrote:
You may need the Hollowtech crank removal tool. Also did you pop the little linkage up from between the pinched slot? If you don’t pop it up you’ll damage it as you force it off the spindle.
Look for YouTube videos of Hollowtech and Hollowtech II crank removal - I don’t know which you’ve got.

Good luck.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 20:30 Quote
Ahhh, I didn't realize I had to push up the clip and remove the Hollowtech II nut as well. Thanks for the help.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007724
Mobile Version of Website