Life and TPD Insurance

PB Forum :: Australia / New-Zealand
Life and TPD Insurance
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 7:00 Quote
As part of a recent application for life & TPD insurance I had to answer questions on any sports and pastimes I take part in e.g. cycling and mountain biking. They then asked if I participate in competitive cycling (no) or competitive mountain biking(yes - cross country).

They have offered Life and TPD insurance, however there is an exclusion on mountain biking
"No benefit will be payable for any claim where the condition or event giving rise to the claim is directly or indirectly related to the practice for or participation in mountain bike racing"

I sought clarification on what exactly constitutes "practice for" racing i.e. would a recreation mtb ride be considered practice for racing OR would "practice for" only include organised training and practice sessions e.g. as sanctioned by AusCycling?
After a bit of back and forth getting non helpful answers eventually the insurer stated "Everything relating to mountain biking is excluded".

Has anyone applied for life and TPD insurance and received cover that doesn't have these exclusions? Feeling frustrated!

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 7:15 Quote
Dingo1000 wrote:
As part of a recent application for life & TPD insurance I had to answer questions on any sports and pastimes I take part in e.g. cycling and mountain biking. They then asked if I participate in competitive cycling (no) or competitive mountain biking(yes - cross country).

They have offered Life and TPD insurance, however there is an exclusion on mountain biking
"No benefit will be payable for any claim where the condition or event giving rise to the claim is directly or indirectly related to the practice for or participation in mountain bike racing"

I sought clarification on what exactly constitutes "practice for" racing i.e. would a recreation mtb ride be considered practice for racing OR would "practice for" only include organised training and practice sessions e.g. as sanctioned by AusCycling?
After a bit of back and forth getting non helpful answers eventually the insurer stated "Everything relating to mountain biking is excluded".

Has anyone applied for life and TPD insurance and received cover that doesn't have these exclusions? Feeling frustrated!

What I find strange is there's a difference between competitive cycling vs competitive mountain biking. If somebody were to ask me if I ride a bicycle I'd say, "yes" and then I'd describe all my mountain biking adventures. They would have to ask me about "road biking' before I'd make any distinction between the two.

Anyhow - this sounds like standard practice in the insurance industry. You admitted that you engage in risky behavior and the insurer doesn't want to be any part of it. In the USA you can find an insurer that will cover all your adventurous undertakings, but the premium you must pay rises with each addition.

Good luck.

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 16:09 Quote
Yes It's a bit strange the distintion between competitive cycling vs mountain biking. I wonder if I had said I partake in competitive road cycling whether there would be an exclusion for anything related road cycling. I also wonder if I didn't partake in competive mountain biking whether there would still be an exlusion on recreational mountain biking.

The insurer I recieved the quote from didn't offer to cover mountain biking with a higher premium, just a flat out exclusion. It seems like such a silly exclusion, given how riding and exercise improves your health, etc. and they probably cover the myriad of ailments that arise from inactivity. I'm not a professional rider by any means, just C Grade cross country.

From what I gather mountain biking insurance exclusions are a fairly recent development, so I'm hoping that someone out there knows of an insurer that doesn't exclude it.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 9, 2024 at 2:05 Quote
Hey Dingo did you ever get anywhere with this?

I tried to get it through my superannuation but had exactly same experience as you. As soon as mentioned mtn biking in any capacity full exclusion in my policy documents.

Couldn’t find a single insurer that would cover.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009015
Mobile Version of Website