can you use a brakeless bmx hub on a dirt jump bike?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
can you use a brakeless bmx hub on a dirt jump bike?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 2:39 Quote
I recently built up a dirt jump bike with a 40 pound back wheel i got on facebook, turns out even though it was dt swiss it was terrible and taco'd it in 2 rides so my dad got me a new wheel which is a rant party on v2 bmx hub laced to what i imagine is a rim from a wheelie bike. Problem is, it came with broken bearings and an mtb freehub driver which unfortunately doesn't fit properly and no axle. there are also no disc brake mounts on the wheel. I can by the right bmx driver for the wheel for 60 pounds and make an axle on a lathe at home but then the bike would ever be brakeless or i could use my old front brake of my mtb on it. should i do this or just get a new wheel that fits properly?

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 11:46 Quote
BMX hubs are 110mm spacing, most DJ bikes are 135mm so it would be too narrow. I suppose if you were machining an axle you could just add a few spacers to get the width you need, not sure how strong it would be though. You would also probably have to redish the wheel. Considering the cost of buying the driver I don't think it's worth it, might be an interesting experiment if that wasn't part of the equation.

Charlieaitken wrote:
I recently built up a dirt jump bike with a 40 pound back wheel i got on facebook, turns out even though it was dt swiss it was terrible and taco'd it in 2 rides so my dad got me a new wheel which is a rant party on v2 bmx hub laced to what i imagine is a rim from a wheelie bike. Problem is, it came with broken bearings and an mtb freehub driver which unfortunately doesn't fit properly and no axle. there are also no disc brake mounts on the wheel. I can by the right bmx driver for the wheel for 60 pounds and make an axle on a lathe at home but then the bike would ever be brakeless or i could use my old front brake of my mtb on it. should i do this or just get a new wheel that fits properly?

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005840
Mobile Version of Website