Best Bike for the Price?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Best Bike for the Price?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 8:57 Quote
Hello All,

New to the forum as of today. I’ve been thinking about my question for awhile and always wish I could talk to someone with some major experience in riding who has a lot of ‘data points’ in regards to different bikes and their own personal preference.

I’m trying to decide between four bikes, all within comparable price points, that I am looking into investing in. I am capable enough to recognize the differences between them as far as geometry and components, but I don’t have experience riding any of them to truly get a feel for the subtle difference when actually tackling a trail.

Choice 1: Evil Offering, GX Build
Choice 2: Ibis Ripmo, XT Build
Choice 3: GT Force Carbon Pro LE
Choice 4: Forbidden Druid (honestly this one is pretty much just an aesthetic desire, I don’t think it would be best suited for me or the trails here)

Most of the trails I ride are what I would call ‘all mountain’. Essentially a mixture of technical climbs (steep, big rocks, requiring hopping, etc.), steep downhills (generally very rocky and rooty), and moderate drops to flat/slope (usually off of large rocks where your speed is going to be limited).

I would like an experienced opinion on the above choices and how you think they would handle the trail conditions i detailed above.

Have you ridden any of those listed? If so, what type of trails have you ridden and which did they excel at? How was the overall feel (comfortable? Slow? Clunky? Smooth?) What are their short comings? Based on the conditions I mentioned above, what would be your ultimate choice? Would you personally choose a bike that I didn’t have listed? If so, what would you choose?

If you made it this far in my post, i commend you. I’m really just an average Joe looking for advice for someone with skills and knowledge beyond my own that guide me in the right direction. I’d like to make the right choice and have a bike that be able to handle everything i throw at it and not feel clunky like what I ride now.

Thank you all in advance,

Bailey

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 10:18 Quote
Bailey232008 wrote:
Hello All,

New to the forum as of today. I’ve been thinking about my question for awhile and always wish I could talk to someone with some major experience in riding who has a lot of ‘data points’ in regards to different bikes and their own personal preference.

I’m trying to decide between four bikes, all within comparable price points, that I am looking into investing in. I am capable enough to recognize the differences between them as far as geometry and components, but I don’t have experience riding any of them to truly get a feel for the subtle difference when actually tackling a trail.

Choice 4: Forbidden Druid (honestly this one is pretty much just an aesthetic desire, I don’t think it would be best suited for me or the trails here)

Most of the trails I ride are what I would call ‘all mountain’. Essentially a mixture of technical climbs (steep, big rocks, requiring hopping, etc.), steep downhills (generally very rocky and rooty), and moderate drops to flat/slope (usually off of large rocks where your speed is going to be limited).

I would like an experienced opinion on the above choices and how you think they would handle the trail conditions i detailed above.

Have you ridden any of those listed? If so, what type of trails have you ridden and which did they excel at? How was the overall feel (comfortable? Slow? Clunky? Smooth?) What are their short comings? Based on the conditions I mentioned above, what would be your ultimate choice? Would you personally choose a bike that I didn’t have listed? If so, what would you choose?

If you made it this far in my post, i commend you. I’m really just an average Joe looking for advice for someone with skills and knowledge beyond my own that guide me in the right direction. I’d like to make the right choice and have a bike that be able to handle everything i throw at it and not feel clunky like what I ride now.

Bailey

I’ve got an offering- custom built so won’t be exactly the same but geo and kinematics are. I love the bike and it is perfect for what I ride. One thing I hated was the stock super deluxe shock so I put a coil on and love it. The coil definitely does not climb super well and the bike is quite heavy, but I’m not going for the times on the climbs and pedals, just the downhill. I ride pisgah and the bike park on it and it feels great, doesn’t feel like to little at the park which is nice. In terms of price the evil is expensive and isn’t the lightest, but I can’t say for the other bikes you have listed, though I have tested a ripmo my customer had and it felt pretty poppy and playful, but I don’t have any trail experience.

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 14:56 Quote
kiranseligman wrote:
Bailey232008 wrote:
Hello All,

Bailey

I’ve got an offering- custom built so won’t be exactly the same but geo and kinematics are. I love the bike and it is perfect for what I ride. One thing I hated was the stock super deluxe shock so I put a coil on and love it. The coil definitely does not climb super well and the bike is quite heavy, but I’m not going for the times on the climbs and pedals, just the downhill. I ride pisgah and the bike park on it and it feels great, doesn’t feel like to little at the park which is nice. In terms of price the evil is expensive and isn’t the lightest, but I can’t say for the other bikes you have listed, though I have tested a ripmo my customer had and it felt pretty poppy and playful, but I don’t have any trail experience.

Thanks for the input, really helpful. As of now the Evil Offering and Ibis Ripmo are my top choices. I may be leaning more into the Ripmo at the moment. I think their base price is a little less and they are bit more common on sites like ProsCloset. I don’t mind getting into a used bike, especially when a brand new one are getting close to the down payment on a car Smile

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 17:39 Quote
Bailey232008 wrote:
kiranseligman wrote:
Bailey232008 wrote:
Hello All,

Bailey

Thanks for the input, really helpful. As of now the Evil Offering and Ibis Ripmo are my top choices. I may be leaning more into the Ripmo at the moment. I think their base price is a little less and they are bit more common on sites like ProsCloset. I don’t mind getting into a used bike, especially when a brand new one are getting close to the down payment on a car Smile

Very true, and I’d take the Shimano build over a sram personally. If you do go used I’d recommend just doing a bit of an overhaul and doing a lower service on the fork and air can service on the shock. Good luck though!

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 23:18 Quote
The Ripmo is a very capable all mountain bike. It's the perfect choice for me in the Alps (I have a V1). It's light and very capable uphill (the DW link suspension works really well) so you can pedal all day long on epic alpine rides. In the descents, it remain very stable without being too long, so you can still manage tight technical turns. The suspension doesn't feel very plush tough, it is a playful and poppy bike. So far, it's the best bike I have ever owned.

I never rode the latest generation of GT force, but it seems to be more a big enduro bike than a proper AM rig. The long wheelbase might be a bit cumbersome on technical climbs but I might be wrong.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006018
Mobile Version of Website