Le Massif Bike Park

PB Forum :: Canada - East
Le Massif Bike Park
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 10:31 Quote
I was at Le Massif Bike Park with some friends after the World Cup and as there doesn't seem to be a ton of info about the place, I thought I would share.

I was really excited to go, as I've been to Le Massif in the winter, and it's gorgeous. It's got a ton of elevation and the potential is massive (pardon the pun).

All the infrastructure is there. You ride a gondola. The bikes are nicely hung on the outside. Unfortunately, the trails are still a work in progress. The long, long, long blue flow trail that Wade came out to ride has very, very few features on it. It is not really a blue. It's a green. It would be great if they just added doubles and rollers. There were a couple of nicer blue level flow trails (labeled as blacks), but only short sections. The new trails La cigale and le fourmi had some nice natural sections, but again, they were mislabeled as blacks and are blues. Fun, but quite easy with short gaps (ie, brake first). You could see a really nice trail below the gondola that was still closed. It had some cool slabs.

I would say, for advanced riders, you'll be frustrated. If you are going with family or are less experienced, you may love it. It's truly gorgeous there and I enjoyed the views despite the riding being not what I was hoping for. I would love to go back one day, but they will need to put in some newer and more challenging trails. That region of Quebec has so much great trail. I hope the planners at Le massif have the vision and the budget to make it everything it could be.

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 10:40 Quote
Are you talking about this place I found on TrailForks?

Looks pretty awesome - here's a bunch of videos too.

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 15:12 Quote
Yes sir. Don't need the videos. I was just there.

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 15:34 Quote
Adamrideshisbike wrote:
Yes sir. Don't need the videos. I was just there.

I was only sharing as you stated that there wasn’t a ton of info out there. The videos and all being more info for not just yourself, but also any other interested PB readers to enjoy.

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 16:11 Quote
Wonderful. Thank you Ben.

O+
Posted: Sep 8, 2022 at 8:15 Quote
Adamrideshisbike wrote:
I would say, for advanced riders, you'll be frustrated. If you are going with family or are less experienced, you may love it. It's truly gorgeous there and I enjoyed the views despite the riding being not what I was hoping for. I would love to go back one day, but they will need to put in some newer and more challenging trails. That region of Quebec has so much great trail. I hope the planners at Le massif have the vision and the budget to make it everything it could be.

Hey Adam, thanks for your report! I agree that there's not a ton of stuff for experts but I thought I'd give a little info regarding Le Massif as I was (and am) involved in the project. The terrain we have is enormous and has the potential to become something special. But it's been only 3 years of building so far and priority was on easy-intermediate level trails to cater to people that are generally forgotten in Quebec's bikepark. MSA is 20 minutes away, with a couple of days worth of lift serviced gnarly (to extremely gnarly) trails, Le Massif needed to do something different! Give the resort a couple more years, biking here is still so young.

As for trail ratings, I'll add that there's an effort within the region to standardize ratings throughout the region. We use the IMBA trail rating system and for example, the long blue flow trail (Histoire sans fin) is quite easy but clearly a blue at around 9% of average grade. Ratings are not (should not anyway) subjectives but the result of simply putting trail characteristics through a chart.

Posted: Sep 8, 2022 at 10:10 Quote
Thanks for your building. I look forward to going back and seeing the progress. I do agree that the other trail systems are not very family friendly. Nice to have one spot that services all levels.

Posted: Sep 8, 2022 at 10:38 Quote
I agree that advanced/expert riders around the QC region have so many options already, so I think it's a good idea that Massif is focusing on beginner/intermediates (at least at first). This also matches the rest of the Le Massif vibe, with the fine food and upcoming thermal mega-spa. The other idea would be to build intermediate trails with advanced optional features.

In the future, it would be amazing to take the p'tit train right in from Montmorency Falls to the bike park with your gear and everything.

Keep up the great work!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006598
Mobile Version of Website