Fox Float X2 Issue

PB Forum :: Fox Racing Shox
Fox Float X2 Issue
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
FL
Posted: Aug 27, 2022 at 11:58 Quote
Hello,

I just rode today for 30-40 minutes and when I was done cleaning the bike I noticed a hissing sound coming from the rear shock. The sound was like this and the forming of the bubbles followed, for about 2-3 minutes. I shot this video and tried compressing the shock and the sound and bubbles began forming again for a couple of seconds. I got done riding yesterday as well and the air pressure in the shock was very low, I had to pump around 80-100 PSI into it.
I'm just curious if anyone has had the same issue or has some idea of what might be wrong. I've put in about 30-40 hours on the shock, might just be time for a rebuild but I'm not sure.

[YT=https://www.youtube.com/shorts/zFCivkx1_DQ]

Posted: Aug 27, 2022 at 13:52 Quote
johann377 wrote:
Hello,

I just rode today for 30-40 minutes and when I was done cleaning the bike I noticed a hissing sound coming from the rear shock. The sound was like this and the forming of the bubbles followed, for about 2-3 minutes. I shot this video and tried compressing the shock and the sound and bubbles began forming again for a couple of seconds. I got done riding yesterday as well and the air pressure in the shock was very low, I had to pump around 80-100 PSI into it.
I'm just curious if anyone has had the same issue or has some idea of what might be wrong. I've put in about 30-40 hours on the shock, might just be time for a rebuild but I'm not sure.

is that an alloy spire? if so, the unreliability of an X2 wont handle the out of alignment that frame has.

FL
Posted: Aug 27, 2022 at 20:14 Quote
EvolutionMTBer wrote:
johann377 wrote:
Hello,

is that an alloy spire? if so, the unreliability of an X2 wont handle the out of alignment that frame has.

Yup, It's an alloy Spire. So the shock just won't handle being in the bike? Just wondering if this is going to be a recurring issue with this bike, and if there is a certain shock that is recommended for this specific bike.

Posted: Aug 27, 2022 at 20:42 Quote
Take the top shock bolts out an slide it forward out of the linkage and then see if it easily slides back. Quite a bit of talk in the spire thread here about it.

The X2 just isnt that reliable and Really needs a straight frame setup(which these days is quite uncommon as quality on frames are poor overal) Its way worse on yoke bikes like commencal and Stumpy

FL
Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 10:50 Quote
EvolutionMTBer wrote:
Take the top shock bolts out an slide it forward out of the linkage and then see if it easily slides back. Quite a bit of talk in the spire thread here about it.

The X2 just isnt that reliable and Really needs a straight frame setup(which these days is quite uncommon as quality on frames are poor overal) Its way worse on yoke bikes like commencal and Stumpy

Thank you for the help! I contacted Fox and it looks like I’ll be covered by the warranty.
Are there specific shocks or specific manufacturers that handle out of alignment frames better? Just wondering since I’ll probably have to go for a new one.

FL
Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 12:54 Quote
Generally Shocks with big internal shafts(i cant remember name) The best fox shock ive seen for durability recently is the float X.

lots of options for Stronger shocks but id be looking at your frame first, TR know about the issue and will replace the front triangle if its out of alignment.

Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 15:14 Quote
I sent my shock to Bikeco for a pro tune and felt a big difference. They really tailored it to my riding style. Check them out for service or pro tunes. The history and experience of suspension service runs deep at this shop.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2023 at 9:41 Quote
Apparently the X2 is the by far the lease reliable shock out there. Speaking to some pros todays and they were saying they go within a couple of days almost every time. My interest in this started when mine blew 2 weeks ago. Got it serviced, and it went again within ten minutes. Gutted as it just put an end to trip to Dyfi. Waste of petrol money and uplift fees.

FL
Posted: Apr 26, 2023 at 5:37 Quote
radiorog wrote:
Apparently the X2 is the by far the lease reliable shock out there. Speaking to some pros todays and they were saying they go within a couple of days almost every time. My interest in this started when mine blew 2 weeks ago. Got it serviced, and it went again within ten minutes. Gutted as it just put an end to trip to Dyfi. Waste of petrol money and uplift fees.

Yup, terrible reliability. I ended up just buying a Super Deluxe coil and put that on the bike while the X2 was in the UK for the warranty repair. Just have it sitting in a shelf collecting dust at the moment, hopefully won't break there!

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2023 at 6:55 Quote
johann377 wrote:
radiorog wrote:

Yup, terrible reliability. I ended up just buying a Super Deluxe coil and put that on the bike while the X2 was in the UK for the warranty repair. Just have it sitting in a shelf collecting dust at the moment, hopefully won't break there!
Yep, ive decided to go for a rockshox coil now. Cant afford for it to go again. Awful.

Posted: May 26, 2023 at 6:54 Quote
EvolutionMTBer wrote:

Any idea if Kenevo SL is also killing these? They come with the Expert. Thx

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010677
Mobile Version of Website