Mullet

Previous Page |
Posted: Sep 2, 2022 at 6:13 Quote
Been thinking of going mullet. Couldn't figure out how to search with the mobile, so sorry if this is already a thread. Also, we should start a mullet section.

Posted: Sep 2, 2022 at 6:16 Quote
I read rode a Transition Patrol. My take was it felt faster. I only rode dh with it though. And the bike felt really heavy. Glad they just came out with a carbon version.

Testing a Bronson this Sunday at Highland.

Posted: Sep 2, 2022 at 6:20 Quote
I guess the biggest question I have is, is it okay to convert any 29er into a mullet (realizing now that maybe I should have put this in the 29er section) or is it brute to buy a bike already designed geometry wise for it?

I know more companies are offering it as a set up, but pretty sure the Evil Insurgent is just one of the other frames (offering maybe?) With a 27.5 on the back.

Posted: Sep 2, 2022 at 6:23 Quote
It would seem like to have it work as intended as a true mx, the geometry should be designed initially for it or altered (like the link you can buy for the specialized enduro) rather than just swapping the rear wheel.

Thoughts?

Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 18:11 Quote
In my mind at least coming from bikes of the olden days I prefer a high bottom bracket. I go for the 27.5 frame with a 29r front. Lower fork travel 10-20mm depending on how slack you want it or if you have a flip chip in your frame to help. The mullet specific bikes are cool. I am a tinkerer at heart so I like to experiment with trucks and bikes

Posted: Dec 10, 2022 at 14:57 Quote
So I race cross country for my highschool. I have a SC blur. I want to build or buy a hardtail so I can have a playfull bike. Should I get a frame for 29s and switch using a 29 and 27.5 rear wheel. Or should I get a bike set up as a mullet that can only use a 27.5 rear wheel. No matter what I want 29 front wheel. I am 6'2 and 140 lbs. It would be an L or an XL frame. What should I do and any suggestions on what frame? I do not want to buy new.

Posted: Dec 10, 2022 at 16:54 Quote
It's a tough question. If you get the 29r frame and put a 27.5 in the rear it will lower your bb slacken the head tube and seat tube angles. If you take the 27.5 frame and put a 29 on it it still slakens the head tube and seat tube but it raises the bottom bracket. I don't know how the used market is there in Cali. But here If you look for deals on bikes. (Ragley and vitus and nukeproof) frames can be had on sale for a good price. Usually 3-400$ used here for that price is a clapped out 15+ year old bike.

This answer isn't clear I know that. There is a compromise with building a mullet bike I simply put out there what changes its going to make. If your trails aren't rocky the lower bb wouldn't be bad. I don't know the terrain around sac town. If it were me I would start with a 27.5 and raise it but that is me and colorado springs is full of rocks

Posted: Dec 10, 2022 at 16:55 Quote
I am also 6ft4in and 250+

Posted: Dec 10, 2022 at 20:56 Quote
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/ns-bikes-eccentric-alu-evo-27-5-frame-2021/rp-prod204160

Found on chain reaction would be what I made a mullet out of cheap. Start with a decent fork and a Microshift Advent X drive train and there you go. Just look high and low for cheap new or good quality used parts. Will post more good stuff if I can find it.

Posted: Dec 11, 2022 at 16:51 Quote
The trails around here are rocky in places so pedal strike happens every once in a while. There is little elevation for the most part. I will not use this hardtail for racing. because of that, is having a 27.5 rear wheel that big of a problem? is it hard to keep speed with 27.5 and would it be nice to have and option to have a 29 rear wheel? This will be for chunkier stuff and jumps. does a 27.5 wheel on a 29 frame look weird? is there anything good by having low bb? Thanks

Posted: Dec 11, 2022 at 18:17 Quote
Low bb is good for cornering makes the bike more stable you can always run shorter cranks. Modern bike frames already have low bbs sometimes that 10-15mm makes a difference. Did you check that frame out good deal for sure. I run 27.5 x2.6 on my banshee and I love it never had an issue holding speed. I love the agility of the full 27.5 bike myself. Mullet feel almost the same to me just the front is not as fast as the rear. With the smaller tires acceleration feels quicker to me just a few cranks and your good. For jumps low bb and short chainsaws help. I think that ns frame with a 140mm 29r front would be sweet

Posted: Dec 11, 2022 at 21:14 Quote
Great, The 27.5 in the rear sounds better. Should I Get a 34, 36, pike, or lyric? The problem is NS is 433 $ to ship to the US.

Posted: Dec 11, 2022 at 21:55 Quote
Dang man brexit must have messed that up last year I ordered a ragley frame from them and it was 45 for shipping. With your weight I would run any fork I have had a Manitou Mattoc and a mezzer I have been riding for a few years and I think they are overlooked i had an xfusion before that i got along with alot and can be found on sale. I would go 34 or pike to keep the weight down. 5+ years ago you would have had a 32 lol. The other option is to find a few cheap used bikes and reuse all the best parts put the rest into the other bike and sell. All depends on your market

Posted: Dec 11, 2022 at 22:43 Quote
And at your weight I would think you could tune the lower model fork better. Even as a heavy dude I find the simpler forks feel better. I had a mattoc pro and it never felt right. Went to a mezzer expert and it's feels nice

Posted: Dec 18, 2022 at 10:08 Quote
Cspringsrider wrote:
Low bb is good for cornering makes the bike more stable you can always run shorter cranks. Modern bike frames already have low bbs sometimes that 10-15mm makes a difference. Did you check that frame out good deal for sure. I run 27.5 x2.6 on my banshee and I love it never had an issue holding speed. I love the agility of the full 27.5 bike myself. Mullet feel almost the same to me just the front is not as fast as the rear. With the smaller tires acceleration feels quicker to me just a few cranks and your good. For jumps low bb and short chainsaws help. I think that ns frame with a 140mm 29r front would be sweet

which banshee? thought about turning my v2 spitfire into a mullet with 140 29 fork. love the bike just bored and want to take it apart and put it back together. looking for a set of 29 lowers for my lyrik to keep cost down. wouldnt mind finding a v2 or v3 prime to try, but spitfire like a big bmx bike. and just bought a cc coil inline to replace the air one I have to pump 285 psi into. am also 6'4" 240.

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013818
Mobile Version of Website